Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pueden ayudarme por favor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandinista445

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Pueden ayudarme por favor Reply with quote

Hola companeros,
I'd like to teach English in Chile but have no idea where I should be looking. I'm a Canadian native English speaker, I'll be getting my BA this spring and a TESL certificate from Oxford seminars. Is it possible to get a contract to work in Chile before flying out there? I also know some Spanish, would that help?
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for work in Chile Reply with quote

You'll find English language schools in the Paginas Amarillas: www.amarillas.cl/
sandinista445

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
Breezee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Institutos Reply with quote

Spanish isn't necessary to teach here in Chile, but it sure helps to feel more comfortable getting around, defending yourself, etc.

I started teaching last year here in Santiago and I didn't have any experience. Also, I received my job once I got here and I only had an online TEFL certificate (not even completely completed).

The best thing I can recommend is to talk with other current professors at whatever institute that you are looking at. This is the best way to know how the institute treats the professors.

Chao and good luck! Breezee
sandinista445

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Breezee,
What school are you teaching with and how do you find Santiago? It doesn't sound like it's that hard to find work in Chile. Is there a growing demand (growing salaries hopefully)?
I've heard a lot of bad things about the city, but I'm not sure whether this is the usual talk you hear from some people who don't like big cities (I've heard similar things about Toronto and New York, both of which are great cities in my opinion, so I'm reluctant to write Santiago off...), or if it's really that bad.
Breezee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Santiago jobs Reply with quote

Overall, I enjoy Santiago, the main thing I don't like is the smog. Though, that's normal in any big city. Common pay at institutes in the capital is around 4500-5500 pesos per hour.

Sandinista,
I also wrote you a pm with more detailed information. Smile
sandinista445

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful information Very Happy
Breezee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime, hope it helps!

Breezee
eileen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's easier to get a job upon arrival. Just get a cellphone (about 19,000), print up some resumes and walk around. Most places won't hire you from abroad.

Institutes that I can think of off the top of my head:

Manpower
Canadian Institute
Britanico
Norteamericano
Linguatec
English First
Burford
Curtis
Wall Street
Fisher

There are more, on many street corners. Ask yourself if you mind leaving the country every three months (if yes, get a job that will get you a visa). A lot of places will have you working offsite. Find out if your transportation or trouble are compensated.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: