Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mad As Heck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaniRome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Mad As Heck Reply with quote

[b][color=blue]Does anyone else teaching in Italy find they're being exploited at a terribly low monthly cost? [/color][/b] Shocked
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much so and glad you raised the issue....

I have opted out of being taken for a ride in Italy by schools who should know better but don't because all they can think about is the margin of profit and how much they can rip off and manipulate teachers!

I am off to Thailand where i will work from 8am to 4 pm, 5 days a week for precisely the same amount i was being paid in Italy!
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get paid per contact hour... I am guaranteed 22.5 in my contract which is fine by me, but lately I have been expected to work over thirty hours each week. The thing that pisses me off most is that in my phone interview I was told that I wouldn't have to teach outside the city center, but the minute I signed a contract with them (I will admit that the contract doesn't say anything about travel time or distance) they started hauling my ass to the EXTREME suburbs of the city five days a week, with no payment for travel time...

GRRRRR.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jetgirly...you aren't working for the dreaded Inlingua cowboy franchise are you?
Cos sounds to me the kind of stunt they would pull and have pulled in the past!
More about these people I will write in the future when i have recovered the serenity and peace of mind to forgive them for some of the things they subject their teachers to......although on seconds thoughts.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
DaniRome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. getting paid per hour is ok.. but as you may or may not know, by doing this they don't have to pay anything towards your pension, And for me, having a Canadian/Italian citizenship, this is a rip-off. Sure you may say that in 30 years pensions will be incredibly low or non-existent, but anything is better than nothing. As for Inlingua, the only reason they exist is because no other options are available in most small towns. If however, you go somewhere like Rome, you'll find tons of options and Inlingua is not one of the more popular schools... Anyone teaching in the Castelli Romani area?
Mark a Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: bE ReAL! Reply with quote

Not defending any schools...but come on guys get a grip on reality...First the private schools are A BUSINESS and as such they operate on profit...period! Its no different than any other business. This includes the contracts that you willingly sign! So why gripe about something that is so obvious in any other business as well...Or perhaps you are one of those teachers who thinks to get a GREAT guaranteed salary only to work a few hours a day all the while thinking I sure pulled a fast one on those stupid directors...Think again... it just dont work that way guys...LOL! And pension contributions? hahaha...if they paid your pensions based on what the Italian government charges companies...you would have to work for free! But then you will always get it back later anyway...or will you?

Next, its all about supply and demand...can u imagine just how many so-called ESL teachers want to work in ITALY!!! I imagine the numbers are staggering...so, with that being the case, dont expect to have directors drooling to keep you because you are the greatest thing to teaching since the Murphys English Grammar in Use [with answers key]!!!... and especially dont expect to get rich off of teaching in Italy [or anywhere for that matter including ASIA]. If you dont like the salary or work conditions surely someone with more realistic expectations will...

During my stay in Italy for over 3 years...I found work conditions to be quite easy compared to my Italian friends who often worked 3 or 4 hours a day past their official contract times without additional pay. The trade off is job security in a country with unemployment as high as 18 percent in some areas. And for some strange reason I found my that English colleagues tended to complain a LOT more about the work conditions than those from other countries...I still havent figured that one out yet...but I imagine its either cultural or employee work protectionism and salaries must be great for teachers in England...

Final note...teaching in Italy is not a prison sentence..if you dont like the terms or feel you are being exploited, it is simple...leave...

In that way, those of us who do appreciate the quality of life Italy has to offer on an ESL teacher salary can find jobs a lot easier, less competition and perhaps higher salaries in the future!

PEACE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: