Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fun Language International teaching experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Placebo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluffer wrote:
Except that you have go and do visa runs which cost money every month and at that level of salary that HURTS. You also lay yourself open to being arrested by the mib ( yes, a very very very slim chance but.. ) You are at the end of the day breaking the law. If it was a decent company it would offer a work permit immediately.

I agree, visa runs hurt at that salary level. However, the company pays for your visa runs. But you wouldn't know, because all you did is check their web page... And that is exactly why people go to interviews. The "almighty" Internet does not deliver all answers.

bluffer wrote:
And I bet if they gave out accurate information they would have very few people being interviewed.

That is your assumption. Your implication is that I, among others, only interviewed with them as I was not aware of "accurate information" that was held back?

I'm not affiliated in any other way with Fun Laguage, besides having worked for them. I'm not trying to recruit new teachers here, bluffer.
All I'm saying is that Fun Language is a good starting point for unqualified and inexperienced teachers.

I wouldn't recommend Fun Language to qualified, career oriented EFL teachers but I would to those who are new to the EFL field and just plan to teach for a year.
bluffer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placebo wrote:

However, the company pays for your visa runs.

That just confirms why I would NEVER recommend such a place to work in. Its bad enough that we have places that tell you to go to Kao San to get a degree but we now have companies that pay for visa runs to avoid Work Permits ??

Placebo wrote:

I'm not affiliated in any other way with Fun Laguage, besides having worked for them. I'm not trying to recruit new teachers here, bluffer.
All I'm saying is that Fun Language is a good starting point for unqualified and inexperienced teachers.

I wouldn't recommend Fun Language to qualified, career oriented EFL teachers but I would to those who are new to the EFL field and just plan to teach for a year.

You ought to stop trying to defend this place, you are succeeding making them sound worse and worse. You should not be recommending them to anyone.

If the school was any good it should be suitable for anyone. Here for a year or here for a career. Shouldnt make a difference.

Cowboy outfit. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Placebo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm done, I give up.... you seem to be too ignorant to understand the simple point I was trying to make.

bluffer wrote:

If the school was any good it should be suitable for anyone. Here for a year or here for a career. Shouldnt make a difference.

...you must be joking, mate!

This is an interesting comment which shows that you have no clue about the current job market and the teacher population in Thailand. The underlying assumption is that all EFL teachers should be working under similar conditions on the same level of salary?

The number of untrained and unqualified people out there is a lot higher than the number of qualified teachers. Face it bluffer, there always will be teachers who will be happy to work for 30,000 baht or even less.

Feel free to have the last word...
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: the ideal vs. the reality Reply with quote

C'mon boys. You're both right. Mr. Green There are no winners or losers in this debate.

Bluffer is arguing for & defending the ideal. There's nothing wrong with that; I respect & envy his tenacity. I wish everybody had a WP, paid holidays, a free flat and 40K+ per month in his pocket.

Placebo is defending the reality on the ground, and what he feels was a good experience at Fun Language. There's nothing wrong with that either (imho) and I respect him for sticking up for his school.

As I grow older (and balder Twisted Evil dammit) I have come to realize that the realities of life seldom match up to the ideals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: