Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wages in turkey and debt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: wages in turkey and debt Reply with quote

if anyone's ever read my posts, they know i love turkey. basically, money is the only thing that keeps me away from there. i have a student loan to pay. i am working in korea right now. here, i can easily pay my loan (it's the only bill i have by the way and it's 320$cad/month) every month, and then some, and still live a very good life here. it seems that the average pay in turkey might be something like 1000usd for a first contract. is anyone working in turkey and managing to pay student loan, or similar debt, and still doing all right financially?? i don't expect to save any money. i just want to pay my loan and still have enough money to live well.
El Gordo

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My present salary is USD 1250 and I find that I can save at least half of it every month. Even on USD 1000, after paying about USD 240 for your loan (the approximate equivalent of CAD 320) you should still be able to live very well - unless, of course, you want to go to nightclubs and buy imported clothes and electronic goods.

I suggest you try for a K-12 school rather than a language school, as your salary will be guaranteed for the year and not liable to variation according to hours taught.
lucy k

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely answer your question, as I am in the same situation. I am working at a university in Istanbul, and I also am paying student loans, my only bill. I make around US$1300/month (paid in Lira). I have easily been able to pay US$300/month for my loan payments. I still live quite comfortably, go out to restaurants and bars (although not to fancy places), and travel. I haven't really saved much, but my living and loan expenses are more than covered. So, I say go for it! I agree, though, that staying away from the language institutes is best. Private K-12 or universities are better. Iyi sanslar!
gelin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: You can make money in Turkey. Reply with quote

I work at a private K-12 school and make more than $2400 a month, paying only for my utilities. I think that the K-12 schools are the best route if you are a qualified and certified teacher. Don't waste your time on the language schools if you don't have to.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herkese cok tesekkur ederim Very Happy
elena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: K-12 in Turkey Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Hi,
How could I find a job in the K-12 area in Turkey? Preferably grades 8 and up. Thanks.
Elena
El Gordo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Elena!

You are the first person I have seen express a preference for Year 8 and up - are you sure you know what you're letting yourself in for!!??

Some K-12 schools advertise on this and other TEFL sites - Istek in Istanbul, for example, advertised on Dave's last week; see their entry in International Jobs.

If you go to

http://web.bilkent.edu.tr/inet-turkey/k12-webs.html

you will find links to many K-12 schools. I suggest you fax your CV to several of them and you might get one or two responses, if you're lucky. Not all private schools employ foreign teachers. You can get an idea by looking at the staff lists for individual schools (many schools have these on their websites) and then perhaps restrict your enquiries to those schools which do employ foreigners.
gelin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's wise to remind anyone wanting to teach in a K-12 school in Turkey that they must have a degree in English Education or the equivalent in order to get approval from the Ministry of Education.
elena

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for all the tips. No, of course I don't know what I'm getting into when I talk about K-12, never having been there. However, having read numerous postings, I think I'll apply at universities.

Does one need an EU passport for Turkey? I'm Canadian. And can one apply for a work permit from inside the country if I land a job at a language school and want to transfer?

Would appreciate more help. Thanks.
Elena
El Gordo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey is not a member of the EU so it does not matter what nationality you are, you will still have to go through the same process.

The only way to work legally in Turkey is to obtain a work visa from the Turkish Consulate in your home country before travelling. It is not possible to obtain this visa in Turkey.

To do things any other way (e.g. working on a three-month tourist visa and leaving Turkey every three months to get a new visa) is illegal.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: turkey and EU Reply with quote

Turkey is not in the EU and it is looking increasingly unlikely that she ever will be admitted. So those who are citizens of a EU State can get a job in Turkey under the same restrictions.

As someone has pointed out being legal in Turkey means getting a work permit before you come. By all accounts this has to be from a Turkish Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin (or residence ?).

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
elena

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to you all. Much appreciated. Elena Razz
richard ame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Turkey and the E.U Reply with quote

Hi Scott
You said that Turkey is unlikely to ever be a member of the E.U and I got the impression you thought that's a good thing,who for exactly? Turkey or Europe? Personally I believe it's no longer a question of if but when ,I have mixed ideas about their eventual membership ,but I can say with a certain degree of confidence that it will happen .
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: turkey and europe Reply with quote

When Turkey joins the Euro. Union, it will lose the benefit of cheap prices that are presently available.

Staying in hotels for 10 million lira/around 7 u.s. dollars, will no longer be possible. Everything will become more expensive for Turks and foreigners alike.

Foreign teachers will be paid less than they are presently paid and will not save as much money.

I am presently in Turkey and have signed a contract for a Koleji on the Meditteranean coast starting in September.
richard ame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Don't you rememberme? Reply with quote

Hi Ghost
El Gordo sends his regards ,so you finally made it, you actually went ahead and made a choice ,which place did you choose eventually?I don't agrre with you about the low wages stuff there ghost the locals are just scraping by and coming into the E.U, Turkey would have to fulfil certain minimum wage requirements . True the cost of everything would go up including bread and the poorest in the country would suffer but if you have a spot in a place with accomodation and free school meals then you are going to be ok I would have thought . There is a growing number of people who resent the lack of personal freedom here especially for the minority groups so just for that reason alone T urkey will get the green light ,get used to the idea and buy property to invest in you know it makes sense .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: