Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
widget

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions Reply with quote

Hello, I probably should have made this intro message the first thing I posted, but oh well! I think that Thailand is where I would like to have my first EFL teaching experience, so I'm looking for suggestions as to how to go about this...

I am a 23yo male, with a BSc. in Engineering Physics, and a TESL certificate. I have no formal teaching experience, although I have been tutoring high school and university level math and physics students for 2 years now. I think I would be happiest either teaching children (to me this means ~12 and under), or else math/physics in English at junior or senior high levels. I have never traveled (far) beyond Canada's border, and the only other language I know is French (native English speaker, French is just so-so). In Thailand, I would like to be able to learn the Thai language, and possibly have instruction in Muay Thai, if it works out to be convenient. I have just received my Canadian passport, and have no visas.

My biggest question for now is: should I travel to Thailand before attempting to find a job, or would applying to the postings on the major online listings while in Canada give me a reasonable chance of finding a (decent) position? I hope to be ready to get out of the country within the next month or 2.

I appreciate all help I can get here... the prospect of moving away, not only from my parent's home, but into a foreign country to boot, has me about as scared as I am excited!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
should I travel to Thailand before attempting to find a job, or would applying to the postings on the major online listings while in Canada give me a reasonable chance of finding a (decent) position?

Check out jobs on the net and contact the schools to set up interviews, but I wouldn't accept a position from overseas unless it was an extraordinary offer.

Go to Thailand where you can check out everything firsthand and choose your job carefully. There are many jobs but not that many decent ones. Actually if you want to teach kids then you may have more choice.

Quote:
I hope to be ready to get out of the country within the next month or 2.

If you can arrive in Thailand in May that would be good. Remember April 13 - 15 is the Thai New Year and schools will be closed. Go after that.
hagakuri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: You're in luck. Reply with quote

Hello,

You�re in luck widget. Thailand is in desperate need for math and science teachers at the moment. There are a great number of teachers currently teaching these two disciplines, but they do not have the proper qualifications, or training to be doing so. They are just generally adept teachers that have made the necessary adjustments.

A school in Thailand would be enthusiastic about receiving a bona-fide science / math teacher � physics no less! So get your suitcases, your immunization shots, and that new passport of yours ready for travel. You�re going to Thailand.

Wait a second. Before you get on that 777. Here are some things that you should heed.

1. You will be able to �get� a job from overseas without a question. Get some good JcPenny style headshots of yourself done. It could bump your salary up by 10% or more. Thais really love white, young, handsome men. So sadly join the game and sell yourself on your physical side.. not only your academic.

Be aware that the job that you receive from abroad is not going to be as good as a job that you can get once you are in Thailand. But, if you do not want to have to deal with doing this on your own (finding and interviewing for a job) locally once you arrive, then by all means accept a suitable offer whilst you are in Canada. It will save you a lot of time and possible frustration.

You must at all times keep in consideration your age. While it may be quite easy for a 30 year old to hop on a plane to Thailand and do the job hunt on their own � for a 23 year old who has never left home it could very well be overwhelming and you may just go home jaded.

Your bright enthusiasm and young eyes will open many doors for you in Thailand. Equally so, you will have people try to take advantage of you � not necessarily your place of employment. Keep your guard up at all times, and never take things at face value. There are usually many depths to any given situation and naivety will not help you at all. This is not at all exclusive to Thailand � but Thailand isn�t Kansas anymore.

2. Make sure you have a good understanding of your accommodation situation. Will you live at the school? Will you live in an apartment? Do you have to pay for you accommodations, or does the school pay?

3. Probationary period. Many schools have a 3 month probationary period before you are offered a fulltime contract. During this period the school may refuse to attempt to obtain a work permit for you. In addition, some periods are at a reduced probationary salary. (ie. If the school offered you 38,000 baht a month, the probationary period may be at only 25,000 baht) be aware of this and ask questions.

4. Your contract. When push-comes-to-shove your contract will really mean nothing. For you to even have a chance to argue contractual breech or any other infringement, the contract needs to be in Thai and English with the proper endorsements and stamps. This is seldom, if ever, done. Contractual recourse is not usually an option in Thailand until you get into the higher profile positions whereby a contractual dispute can cause public relations problems for the institution or school.

5. Your probationary period. Remember that you are coming into a foreign cultural. You cannot expect things to be the same in Thailand as they are in Canada, or North America. Nor can you demand them to be the same. It will never happen. Many teachers make the irrevocable mistake of complaining, thinking about complaining, complaining, dreaming about their complaints, complaining, complaining about their complaining, and complaining about that nobody is complaining. This period is not the time for complaining. Thais really do not like complainers. If you are a complainer, stay home or learn to keep it to yourself. If you do it during this period you may find yourself out on your butt. That wouldn�t make you too happy, nor your parents who are undoubtedly footing the bill to send you to Thailand.

6. Know your place in the Thai teaching industry: You are a needed commodity, but you are highly replaceable and temporary. Thai school administration demand a certain level of respect. Yes it is demanded, it is not earned. You will always have to be cordial and respectful to them. This should be so in human nature, but some cultures find it more difficult to do then others. Your students will respect you if you abide by the Thai teaching norms. (This is another subject altogether.)

7. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Thailand is a thrilling and exciting place. If you absorb the culture, people, and language�. you may decide you never want to leave.

This is just a few pointers for you from about 100. But it�s a start, and all I have time for right now.

Hope this helps.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You’re in luck widget. Thailand is in desperate need for math and science teachers at the moment.

Quote:
You are a needed commodity, but you are highly replaceable and temporary.

Which one is it? desperately needed or highly replaceable? I'd say desperately needed is correct.

Quote:
3. Probationary period. Many schools have a 3 month probationary period before you are offered a fulltime contract.

In my experience schools with "probationary periods" are the exception rather than the rule i.e. i never worked for one. DON"T accept a position with a "probationary period". Probation is for criminals, not for teachers.

Quote:
5. Your probationary period. Remember that you are coming into a foreign cultural [sic]. You cannot expect things to be the same in Thailand as they are in Canada, or North America. Nor can you demand them to be the same. It will never happen. Many teachers make the irrevocable mistake of complaining, thinking about complaining, complaining, dreaming about their complaints, complaining, complaining about their complaining, and complaining about that nobody is complaining. This period is not the time for complaining. Thais really do not like complainers.

Again DO NOT work for a school that has a "probationary period". It's a sure sign that you will have trouble.

I do agree with the comments about complaining though. Complaining is useless. If a school doesn't satisfy you, quietly start your search for a new job. If for some reason you lose your job, you can easily find a new one.
widget

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the pile of info! At this point in time, pretty much all I need is some shots (have to figure out which -- hep B + ???), and to get some things sold off. As far as I know, I'll be the one footing the bill the flight and anything else I'll need to buy in preparation of leaving. And no, I'm not much of a complainer...

The prospect of arriving in a country not knowing the language and having nothing arranged does seem a rather daunting thing for me to do, so I'll apply to what postings I can find from here. One thing with postings, when they ask that you have a certain amount of experience, is that strictly in-class teaching, or would 1-on-1 tutoring count for anything? Also, I do have a thorough understanding of math and physics (up to around first-year university levels), but most of the positions advertised for are looking for a general "science" teacher (phys, bio, chem), of which the chem part I could fake my way through, the bio I couldn't even pretend. Would the schools expect me to have to learn some of the material beforehand, or would they want me to be able to show up and start teaching about mitochondria, hydrocarbons, and momentum?
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about Malaysia. You might have your heart set on teaching and living in Thailand. But Malaysia has a much larger pool of English speakers and a higher overall standard of English fluency.

Even more important is the fact that the Malaysian government just issued a proclamation that the medium of math/science instruction will henceforth be English (at the higher grade levels). This reverses a disastrous policy that switched the medium from English to Malay in the 1970s. Big mistake that was!

I assume that the pay scale for foreign secondary school teachers in Malaysia is higher than in Thailand, but I'm not sure these days.

You would want to collect information from the Ministry of Education about how, when and where to apply.
Welshguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Ajarn.com for jobs. Just get over there you will get yourself sorted within a couple of weeks, 1 month tops.

Good luck.

W
widget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Just an update... Reply with quote

Over the weekend I applied to about 35 jobs (went back as far as week-old job posts - most from ajarn.com/eslasia.com). So far I've heard back from about 10 of them. Most of them want me actually *in* Thailand before really considering me. So it looks like I'll have to book a flight!

Anyone know if a one-way ticket would be ok? Also, should I try getting a working holiday visa before going, or some other type?

I think I'll have a hard time picking out the "good" jobs from the "less good" ones...
hagakuri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: You should Reply with quote

Hello,

You should be fine with a one way ticket to Bangkok. If customs asks, just tell them that it is cheaper to buy your return ticket from a Bangkok agency. In all reality, it is safer to buy a return ticket. Not in-so-far to satisfy immigration requirements, but more to have to do with mainting an exit strategy.

You can buy a one year, or open-ended ticket, round trip ticket. This will give you the security of being able to leave Thailand, should you need or want to, without having to save or spend additional money. If you have the money now, it is best to buy it now - because in the future you may have spent it. And saving up 28,000+ Baht on short notice is not the easiest thing to do.

Types of Visas. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, but Australia is one of the only English speaking countries that Thailand extends that type of Visa to.

Yes. Book you flight, as previously mentioned - and call those schools that even took the time to reply to your inquiry if they had offered a decent salary.

Remember if the school does not provide accomodations, you will need to pay the equivalent of 3 months rent (in most apartments) in order to move in. How much would that be? The lowest you want to go, believe me on this is about 2,500 to 3,000 baht a month, and that is if you can tolerate many living conditions that are unseen in Canada. Average in the city is about 6,000, and nice to an extent at 10,000 Baht per month for a serviced apartment. If you live outside of the city, sweet deals can be had for about 4,000 if you know where to look.

Hope this helps.
kenkannif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: You should Reply with quote

hagakuri wrote:
Hello,

You should be fine with a one way ticket to Bangkok. If customs asks, just tell them that it is cheaper to buy your return ticket from a Bangkok agency. In all reality, it is safer to buy a return ticket. Not in-so-far to satisfy immigration requirements, but more to have to do with mainting an exit strategy.

Be careful with this advice as it's not customs or Immigration THIS END you have to worry about, rather the carrier YOUR end not letting you on as you don't have a return ticket (so in theory Thai Immigration can turn you back (they won't) and the carrier has to pay for your airfare) or the correct Visa. To avoid this try to get a multiple entry Non-imm Visa (by all means PM me for info in regards to this) or at least a proper tourist Visa (i.e. not a 30 day on entry stamp, rather a tourist Visa obtained from a Consulate or Embassy!).

So it's actually much better to pay for a tourist Visa (20-30 odd USD) than fork out for a return ticket!

Quote:
Types of Visas. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, but Australia is one of the only English speaking countries that Thailand extends that type of Visa to.

Nah as far as I know there's actually no such thing as working Visa, only a Non-imm Visa with a WP on top. Australia has been going on about this working Visa something or other for a while, but I've never heard of anyone getting one EVER! So no it won't happen!
widget

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your info and suggestions. I have accepted a job offer in Phitsanulok, teaching M1-3 math and M6 English conversation. Also, I have a flight booked for April 20th. It is a round-trip ticket with the return date next March 8th (can be changed for a small fee).

Will I be ok just getting the regular 30-day visa when I land in Bangkok? Should I fully explain my plans for obtaining a visa and WP, namely that I will go to the school I have a job with and complete the application procedures once there? Or would it be better to say the 11-month span between arrival and departure tickets is because I'll be travelling around for several months (no more than 30 days in Thailand) and will be departing later from Bangkok? I can imagine they might feel I plan to work illegally if I don't yet have the proper permits.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: don't ask, don't tell Reply with quote

Relax. You have a round-trip ticket. They won't ask or even look at your ticket here in Bangkok. Wink
kenkannif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

widget wrote:

Will I be ok just getting the regular 30-day visa when I land in Bangkok?.

As Kent says you should be fine mate as you have a return ticket, but (where are you again....PM me as depending on where you are I might be able to help in regards to a Visa) personally I'd try to get a 'proper' tourist Visa with as many entries on as possible....just to give you as much time as possible within Thailand (in case they have a probationaty period etc.).

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: