Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie question about wages in taiwan...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: newbie question about wages in taiwan... Reply with quote

26 hours a week, $555 an hour ??? Shocked

I have a B.A., TESOL, experience tutoring children(Canada), and I'm wondering whether or not this is a good offer from a school in Kaohsiung....the school is great, but should I be getting more$? Thanks for your help,

Newbie sarac
killian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds about right for the times. the new taiwan dollar is closely tied to the US dollar. how much is 555 in real money these days anyway?
Mozilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting 530 and 20 hrs a week. consider yourself lucky
sarac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help!

I'm also wondering about housing in Kaohsiung...is it pricey or even possible to find a nice place on your own?
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: housing in Kaoshiung Reply with quote

I will be going to Kaoshiung myself in the last week of August. I have been looking at the accomadation board on www.tealit.com Housing looks to be very reasonable, definitely cheaper than it is here in British Columbia!!! Cool
Sunpower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lucked out at $600, $620 and $650 an hour at the 3 jobs I have.

For my privates I only ask $650 an hour.

I know guys that ask $1,000 an hour and they haven't even been teaching half as long as I have.

I just can't justify asking $1,000 an hour for a private.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie question about wages in taiwan... Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

600Nt to 700Nt per hour is about average for an entry level position. If you take a job with lower pay reserve the right to renegotiate after a few months. For lower paying positions like the one you have been offered, it should have benefits associated with it.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
600Nt to 700Nt per hour is about average for an entry level position. If you take a job with lower pay reserve the right to renegotiate after a few months. For lower paying positions like the one you have been offered, it should have benefits associated with it.

Could you provide us with the names of some schools that offer these wages? It is my understanding that new teachers with no experience can only expect to get NTD500 to 600 per hour.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you provide us with the names of some schools that offer these wages? It is my understanding that new teachers with no experience can only expect to get NTD500 to 600 per hour.

Everything is negotiable. The Chinese love to bargain. Their first offer is always the lowest and not supposed to be accepted. Only the naive newbie makes that mistake. Don't back yourself into a corner with visa and money problems. Get a student visa and some privates until you find the right job. Stay away from chain schools, hone up on your interview skills. Get a haircut and wear real clothes. Even if it is only for the interview, it gives you more bargaining power. Bring triplicate copies of everything and put it in a cheap plastic folder with your name on it. Be organized and professional. Get some of your English teacher friends to write you some references. Any burger flipper can do this job, the key is not to look like one so you won't be paid like one.
Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wages for Taipei (hourly rates) [Please note that I know nothing about the kindy situation and so this post does not refer to them]

Less then $500 If you're considering a job with this level of pay, then please accept my contempt and a referal to your nearest psychiatrist

$500 to $550 excremental (standard chain school)

$551 to $600 lower average, not good, but not uncommon (better paying chain school)

$601 to $650 average

$651 to $700 upper average/reasonable

$701 to $800 good by market standards (generally you have to be able to justify this, so don't expect it with no experience and qualifications, you have to be good at what you do (and know where to look)

$801 to $1000 there is work out there at this kind of rate (and no I'm not telling you where to look; there isn't much)

$1000 plus It is extremely difficult to get over $1000 an hour and any work I ever hear about at this kind of wage rate I will certainly not be advertising. (I do know some people who have earnt/are earning this much, but this is definately an extremely small minority of teachers in Taiwan, so don't come over expecting it and you won't be dissapointed!)

As a newbie I'd be impressed if you got more than $650 an hour if you don't have much experience. Personally, I'd look at a number of things as a newbie. Wage rate is important, but so is the number of hours you will work (you need some form of income security) and when you will work.

Remember you want to fill specific times of day. These can be split into
weekday mornings
weekday afternoons
weekday evenings
Saturdays
(Sunday work is also possible, but do you want to do it?)

If you only work weekday mornings and afternoons for your visa you can always, and I mean always, find a bit of extra work in the evenings (usually at a decent rate.)

Adult work will generally be in the evenings and at weekends

Childrens work will be found at all the times given, but different age groups will be found at different times.

Cheers
Stephen

"Beware the knife behind the smile" Chinese Proverb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: