Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary at Zayed University?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Salary at Zayed University? Reply with quote

Hi there,

this is my first post. I am applying for job at Zayed University. I am completing my PhD in the USA now, and will have it in my hands before the appointment starts (if I'm offered job).

In their online application, they are asking about the expected salary. I know they provide housing, insurance, kids education subsidies, furnishing allowance. So, how much is reasonable to ask?

Note: Even though I'm a fresh PhD, I have several years of teaching experience, most of it in the US.

Thanks,
Ermin
erma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, since it seems that no-one wants to reply to my query, let me ask: what salary should i ask at ANY university in the UAE with the above-mentioned qualifications? Hope someone will help here...
Miss TESOL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: salary Reply with quote

I would suggest somewhere around DH 15,000 month minimum for a PhD level post in addition to the other benefits.

Good luck!
erma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Miss TESOL! If anyone else has suggestions, you'll be more than welcome.
Walt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: UAE salaries Reply with quote

Erma,

I've read on some other posts that advertisements with "competitive salaries" mean little or nothing. You need to find out what other universities offer. If you are highly qualified, have already submittedd a resume, and have been invited to interview (and sure that you can get a job elsewhere), it may be okay to ask what the salary range is.

I don't know about Zayed University specifically, but on a March 2005 TESOL recruiting website, the salary in the UGRU program at the United Arab Emirates University, a comprable university and one to which I am applying, is currently posted at 10,000 - 13,000 AED for those with a Master's. Low or high end is determined, I suppose, by one's amount of experience. With a PhD, I would agree that 15,000 AED is a reasonable salary for which to task. However, I previously worked in Saudi Arabia, and the salaries also depended on your country of origin. I don't know about the UAE, but in the KSA, even with the same degrees and experience, Americans were paid more than Brits, Brits more than Aussies, and those instructors from Muslim counties even less. It may have been based on the rate of exchange with the employee's country of origin.

Blessings in your job search,

Walt
erma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Walt!

15,000 AUD (about US$ 4,000) is not that bad if they provide housing and other benefits (which they say they do). Also, do married people with kids get better offer in terms of salary, or is it only reflected in benefits, while salary is the same for married and single staff?

How much is enough for a decent life for a family of four? I know it depends on a lifestyle, but say, living a nice life, without too much extravagance, but not being too frugal either.

Erma
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erma wrote:

Also, do married people with kids get better offer in terms of salary...

No.

erma wrote:

How much is enough for a decent life for a family of four? I know it depends on a lifestyle, but say, living a nice life, without too much extravagance, but not being too frugal either.

If one of my students had written this, I would send it back for revision. Surely you aren't going to trust the judgment of strangers in regard to the definitions of "decent', "nice", "too much extravagance", or "too frugal". Smile

Are you more of a Kia person or a Mercedes person?
erma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after revision...

I'm neither Kia nor Mercedes person. More of a Honda guy... Think of a middle class family in the US. Just wanted some rough estimate to see how much I can expect to save on such salary.

Anyway, it's a tough question to answer, so I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself if I land a job...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just jump in here. I don't think I would tell you them anything about what salary you are looking for. It is not as though you have all that much say. (your PhD coming after your experience will not be in your favor... depending on how it relates, of course...)

I would ask them to make an offer... keep the 15,000 number in your mind and see what you get. I would be afraid of possibly asking too little. Smile

I know of some PhD holders who have received offers from other ME institutions. That pay would be in the ballpark based on their long experience.

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me preface this by stating I have never worked in the ME, but I would never give a number when employers ask me this question. I hate it when they do, but I always ask them to give me an offer first (very difficult to do in an email). You don't want to low ball yourself and find out you are the lowest paid staff member.
Afra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is true that HCT has merit increases each year until you hit the top of the scale, the basic salary scale hasn't changed for probably ten years and maybe more. Neither have the housing allowances. Rents have gone up in Dubai by 50% in some cases, way above the allowance. For anyone other than US citizen, there has been, in effect, a salary cut as the UAE dirham is pegged to the US dollar. When I came here I paid 5.3 dirhams for 1 GBP, today I pay 6.8 dirhams, which is better than a few months ago. People have been and are leaving because of this. Petrol went up about 25% overnight last year which has had a knock-on effect and insurance costs for shipping stuff into a perceived war zone have also added to inflation - which doesn't exist officially!
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afra wrote:
For anyone other than US citizen, there has been, in effect, a salary cut as the UAE dirham is pegged to the US dollar.

Howcum people think that U.S. citizens are immune to the exchange-rate slide? We buy Euros and Sterling too, ya know, and we invest all over the world, as well as buying imported products at home (those of us who actually live "at home").
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afra wrote:
For anyone other than US citizen, there has been, in effect, a salary cut as the UAE dirham is pegged to the US dollar.

Howcum people think that U.S. citizens are immune to the exchange-rate slide? We buy Euros and Sterling too, ya know, and we invest all over the world, as well as buying imported products at home (those of us who actually live "at home").
erma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for these insightful advices. One of my major concerns, as highlighted by some of you, is the rising cost of living in the UAE, especially in Dubai.

Does anyone know if Zayed Univ. is primarily a teaching institution, or do they also invest in research? What is the teaching load in social sciences?
Walt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Info on Zayed University Reply with quote

Erma,

Have you looked at all the info on Zayed University's wesite at:

www.zu.ac.ae?

Walt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: