Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

equador or argentina?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peakbagger03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: equador or argentina? Reply with quote

Iv'e put a lot of hours researching Dave's Cafe and I really enjoy it a value the information....however i'm still trying to get up todate information on Equador and Argentina...a lot of posts are over a year old and as we all know lots of change has taken place [economically] in these countries. I have two questions today:

1. Is the currency in equador, the dollar, and is that dollar tied to the USD?

2. I hear a lot about inflation inboth countries...which really ruins any economy.. so is there an advantage in taking what I think is enoughUSD's, as a cushion, to get established...and what is enough? I could answer thes Q's myself if i could get current prices of basic essentials[rent , food ,utilities,transportation,wage ranges] ...i'd like to get that info from people currently liveng in these countries.

I'm always willing to share my research with anyone who writes me...feel free.
THINK PEACE

Bob Weber
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Economics vs culture Reply with quote

Bob,

I'm sure you've found the answer by now that the US dollar is infact the currancy of Ecuador.

Yes, both countries have big big inflation problems, but I'm surprized actually that you would be down to a choice between the two. I've been to both (not recently) and they are so different. I think you'd find they are possibly equally bad economically so really the choice should come down to the culture shouldn't it?

Cheers,

MELEE
peakbagger03

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: culture vs economics Reply with quote

Melee,
Thanks for your reply...yes, all things being equal, I would choose the clulture, and regardless of the economics, I would not go to live and work in a place I did not like. Unfortunately Crying or Very sad I can,t go anywhere for very long and work for nothing. I would like to get a dialog going with several people in So. America, not just Equador or Argentina[those are the places i've received replys from, and they both have mountains I want to climb]. I'm equally interests in Chile, Peru, and Bolivia, maybe Colombia[been there a few times and have received mail from esl teachers there].

My intention is to immerse myself in the culture I find myself living in. My concerns are related to the lack of recent posts on the South American 'cookbook' section of this site, and my inablity to get in touch with people living there now.

I could just pick up and go...find out for myself...I'd like to narrow my choices first. Ironically, my long term plan is to own a home in Oaxaca, and may be down there next month to look for property....and my first real answer about Equador and Argentina is from Melee in Oaxaca!

Maybe this helps clarify what I want to know...I'm not looking for a vacation, I'm looking to expand my life and knowledge and explor a new career....just part of the adventure.

Melee, if you are willing and have time I'd like to hear more from you....what I didn't reveal before is that I may start in Oaxaca...sell my home in Michigan and build a permanent home there...big decisions.

Peace to you

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: