Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a visa? And what about a bank account?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikkiJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Do I need a visa? And what about a bank account? Reply with quote

I am planning on taking the Canterbury TEFL course this September and I was wondering if I need to apply for a Visa first? Basically, I was just planning to buy a ticket and go. Is this something that most of you have done? I understand that I will most likely not be working legally, but should I try and get a student Visa??
Also, about opening a bank account>>>>>>>>Is it as impossible as I have been reading or does anyone know of other ways to open a bank account in Madrid?
Thank you !!
Very Happy
Meg4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you're from, but you won't be able to get a student Visa just for a TEFL course. If you look on one of the Spanish Consulates' websites (at least in the US) you will see that for the student Visa you need to be enrolled as a full time student. So, a 4 week TEFL course won't qualify you for a student Visa. You'll probably have to do just what you said--buy a ticket and go.

As far as bank accounts; it is difficult to open one if you're living in Spain illegally. Some academies have special arrangements with a bank where they can help you open one. This is probably the easiest and maybe the only way to do it. You need a residency card to open most bank accounts, but no Visa = no residency, so that type of account is out. There is a non-resident account, but in order to open one you need to get a certificate from the police stating that you're not a resident in Spain. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get this document because I imagine you'd need to show them something that proves that you're not living in Spain. You can always try at different banks around Madrid because you may find one that's more permissive and doesn't ask you for the certificate. The best thing to do is talk to you TEFL school or the academy you end up working with to see if they can help you out.
jimi2times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As you're taking the TEFL course in Canterbury then I guess you're from England. You don't need a student or any kind of visa. As England is part of the EU, you can work for three months without any kind of visa. However, for stays longer than this you could need a residency card. Just get the NIE number from whatever consulate gives it out in Madrid. You'll need 2 passport photos, and your passport. They'll give you a form to fill out, then the number will arrive to your address in Spain after a few weeks. You'll need this number to get a residency card. You might also need a contract from your place of work in Spain. I say 'might' as to be honest if you've got an EU passport it all really doesn't that much. I got a bank account with just my passport. A lot of people don't bother with all the bureauracy. Just get the NIE number. Good luck finding work. Be flexible and take any hours they give you and you'll be sorted.
ihaveitchyfeet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: How to deal with visas? Reply with quote

So Jimi you're saying that if we go over to take a TEFL course, get certified and start working that after the 90 day visitor's visa runs out (for Americans) that we do what? Do the schools that you get certified through (for example Canterbury) help you get work visas to stay for a year and teach?

Or should one go to the government (?) in Spain and apply for a year work visa before the 90 days is up?
jimi2times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having an EU pasport is going to mean that finding work in Spain is a lot harder i�m afraid. You have two choices - either come over and find whatever work you can - probably work illegally but the chances of you being deported are beyond remote. Or you can try and get a contract sorted out with an institute/company/school etc.. before you come to Spain in which case this contract will mean you'll be able to get a visa and residency card. If you know anyone else over here who is from North America that would help a lot. There are lots of teachers working here that aren't from the EU though - maybe one of these could help you better ... Good luck anyway.
Moore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people I know use the bank of under-the-bed, despite being eligible for a bank account: sadly, you really won�t earn that much to really need one anyway...
Spainish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I think there might be some confusion between the different parties posting here so I'm going to chime in Razz

The course Nikki is referring to (I believe) is not actually located in Canterbury, England. It is from a TEFL/English academy in Madrid called Canterbury English (how do I know? Well because I went there!! Very Happy )

Anyway, let me be blunt, forget about getting a work visa if you are not a resident of the EU. Regardless of whether you are hired by an academy or not, there is literally no way to get a working visa (well there are, but it's far from easy, and don't expect to get one through an English academy).

I myself have been in Spain for nearly 3 1/2 years without so much as a question when entering or leaving the country/EU. So yes, that makes me an illegal, but so is every other Yank, Aussie, Canuck, etc. that stays and works here for more than 3 months. On top of that I've never heard of an English teacher being deported for over staying their tourist visa either (and don't bother trying to leave the EU every 3 months to renew it! Firstly because who has the money to do that!?! and second, because you are technically only supposed to be in the country for a maximum 6 months per year if you do not hold some form of work or student visa).

My suggestion, keep your nose clean while in the country and don't freak out when walking through customs upon entering or leaving. Typically they don't check for return flight tickets, sufficient funds to support yourself, proof of onward travel etc., and just stamp your passport (if that) and send you on your way. Immigration is far more worried about North Africans and South Americans (sad but true) and usually won't give anyone with a western passport a second look. Wink

Finally, Moore is right, you won't be doing much saving, at least not enough to warrant the opening of an account here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jimi2times

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

About the bank account - I�d have preferred not to open one, but the company i work for doesn�t pay cash, they just whack it in my account. Plus i�ve got a cool little card.
CharlesTESOL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caixa Catalunya allows foreigners to open a non-residents account with a passport. You'll get a debit card, too. Branches throughout Spain, including Madrid. Here is the English language version of the bank's web site:

http://www.caixacatalunya.es/caixacat/eng/ccpublic/particulars/default.htm

Click on Branches and ATMS to find the location nearest you.
carrisita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: bank account Reply with quote

I'm a US resident, and opened a bank account through Citibank, which has branches all over Spain, but my question is this: I know I can't conduct any account business in Spain regarding this account (basically, it only enables me to use the ATM), but employers can still deposit money into this account directly, no? Also, how do people pay their bills, like utilities, etc? If checks cannot be written, how is this traditionally done?
Thanks,
Carrie
Meg4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
employers can still deposit money into this account directly, no?

If you opened the account in Spain there should be no problem for employers to deposit money into it. But, I'm not sure if they can do this if it's an account you opened in the U.S.

Quote:
Also, how do people pay their bills, like utilities, etc?

This depends on your landlord--sometimes the landlord pays the utilities and you just give him the money for it. If you have to pay the bills you just go to one of the banks that appears on the bill (they usually give you a choice of 4 or 5 different banks where you can pay). If you have an account with one of these banks you take the bill there and they'll take the money out of you account and transfer it to the electric company, phone company, etc. You can also get your bank to pay the bills for you automatically, so you don't have to go to the bank. If you don't have an account at one of these banks I believe you can just go there with the bill and give them the cash to pay it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: