Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone have anything good to say about Bilkent?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Does anyone have anything good to say about Bilkent? Reply with quote

I have nothing good at all to say about Bilkent. I could, however, write pages and pages of negative comments, but I have too much work to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have anything good to say about Bilkent? Reply with quote

tucker wrote:
I have nothing good at all to say about Bilkent. I could, however, write pages and pages of negative comments, but I have too much work to do.

Go on Tucker give us the gossip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entrailicus wrote:
Can we clarify things a little? It seems that a lot of the venom surrounding this issue is pointed toward the hazirlik. Is this correct? I too am looking forward to Tucker's* response.

Of course prep has the most EFL teachers, pays the least, has the least resources, least respect, has to weed out the worst of the worst, students have the most hours in class and so on.

*One would hope this is a nom de plume. The Bilkent is known to have spies everywhere. You have been warned.

I bet Asya is one of them.
tucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Does anyone have anything good to say about Bilkent? Reply with quote

No, I am not talking about Prep. The apartment, the salary, the job itself, the students, the area . . . all crap. The fascists that run the place . . .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone have anything good to say about Bilkent? Reply with quote

tucker wrote:
No, I am not talking about Prep. The apartment, the salary, the job itself, the students, the area . . . all crap. The fascists that run the place . . .

I would be willing to pay you to tell us what you know about all of the above.
whynotme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31 wrote:
Entrailicus wrote:
Has anyone attended any of these universities?

Unlikely as whynotme is the only non native on this board.

Private unis do not have education faculty and to be an English Teacher in Turkey one has to finish an education faculty.....there is no private uni graduated Turkish English teacher...
Bilkent is one of the best in ELT in Turkey but the other departments were really horrible when first opened....whynotme thought of teaching there 7 years ago but changed his mind because of the bad reputation of the school....i think most of you heard about the school from the natives working there...just ask the Turkish teachers in ELT and other academicians.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="whynotme"]
31 wrote:
Entrailicus wrote:
Has anyone attended any of these universities?

Unlikely as whynotme is the only non native on this board.

Private unis do not have education faculty and to be an English Teacher in Turkey one has to finish an education faculty.....there is no private uni graduated Turkish English teacher...

I am confused about this for the following reasons:

Bikent has an ELT faculty and so graduates English teachers doesn`t it?

EMU in N Cyprus is a private uni and graduates English teachers doesn`t it?

Many private unis offer degrees in English language and literature -are they not technically allowed to teach in state schools? Can they work in private schools?

I know someone who works in Prep at Bahcesehir Uni and he has a degree in translation. Is that allowed because he is a lecturer and not a teacher?

]
whynotme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upppps sorry Bilkent is half private.....yeah they have education faculty
whynotme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many private unis offer degrees in English language and literature -are they not technically allowed to teach in state schools? Can they work in private schools?

yes they can because the rules for unis are different from MEB rules...

Quote:
know someone who works in Prep at Bahcesehir Uni and he has a degree in translation. Is that allowed because he is a lecturer and not a teacher?

this is possible as i mentioned above and there are lots working for private unis like this....but i think it is like recruiting a backpacker as a native teacher for a TOEFL class Very Happy

Quote:
EMU in N Cyprus is a private uni and graduates English teachers doesn`t it?

nearly impossible according to Milli Egitim based schools(unis are not) but you can prepare this person's documents as "usta �gretici" status and he can work legally.
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entrailicus wrote:
prey continue, Travelingirl is getting happier as we speak.

Yes, what happened to tucker? I must admit, I was not too upset when I got the news that I was rejected - it seemed that the fates were working in my favor that day! I am curious though, as to what I will be missing...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelingirl68 wrote:
Entrailicus wrote:
prey continue, Travelingirl is getting happier as we speak.

Yes, what happened to tucker? I must admit, I was not too upset when I got the news that I was rejected - it seemed that the fates were working in my favor that day! I am curious though, as to what I will be missing...

Any idea why you were rejected?

Fates?
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have the best feeling during/after the interview to be honest... I think that my only having 2 years of experience in TEFL was a major factor - it was pointed out to me a few times during the interview. From everything I have heard from others in the hazirlik, I would not have been happy there anyway. As far as the rest of the university and school is concerned, I have heard very balanced and positive reviews. No worries, there are many fish in the sea of TEFL!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

31 wrote:
googlebrains wrote:

-----------------------

I think your experiences of the hazirlik program can not be used to judge the entire university.

True. Hazirlik programmes by their very nature are not representative of a university as a whole. They are very profitable for a private university and tend to weed out students. But Bilkent operate hazirlik as a ruthless business and cynically allow students who clearly cannnot cope to enroll in it and in diploma programmes in order to milk them.

By the way, there are no Turkish universities on the top 500 survey. Does this mean ODTU, Bogazici, Hacettepe, etc. are crap universitites?

Interesting point and difficult to answer briefly but I will try.

Firstly I never said Bilkent was crap. The MA TEFL programme is highly regarded in Turkey and gives a select few from not only Turkey but countries such as Azerbaycan a chance to take a paid year off and mix with the kind of people who will be the future in EFL in Turkey and other countries. It really is a unique programme.

No Turkish university nor any Arab university made the top 500. But 3 Israeli universities did. Part of the problem of Turkish universties is that they are crippled by a lack of money. They do little in the way of research and cannot afford to subscribe to journals let alone publish and attend international conferences. True some unis like Bosphorous have a fund that teachers can apply to if they want to attend conferences but it is limited. Add to that air fares, visas etc. it is difficult.

Sadly the very way a top uni is graded excludes unis in poorer countries.

I know dozens of Bilkent graduates who have gone on to do their PHDs in America,

Not surprising since Bilkent has been on the go for quite some time and has graduated a lot of scholarship students who are the best of the best in Turkey. Other fee paying graduates can of course afford to pay for a PHD anywhere in the world. I am not knocking the cream of the cream at Bilkent or anywhere else.

and then have become professors in the United States.
I am sure they have done well. But the majoriy of Bilkent students are rich kids who are buying a piece of paper while enjoying life in a rich bubble.

This is interesting. So it sounds like there isn't any money available for teachers to present/research/attend international conferences.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:

This is interesting. So it sounds like there isn't any money available for teachers to present/research/attend international conferences.

You realize this thread is older than two of the world's countries, right? TEFL in Turkey has changed a lot since April of 2005.

~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: