Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotsands

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Health check Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have just been selected for an interview for a teaching position in the UAE and I am over the moon! I understand that if I am successful at interview I will need to have a medical on my arrival in the ME. Does anyone know what this consists of and what is checked?
crocus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Well done on getting your job interview.

The medical checks are, I think, pretty standard all over. Usually it's appointment with doctor for general chat about health; blood test, including HIV test; chest x-ray. At least that's what they do here.

If your HIV test is positive, you'll probably be on the very next plane out; other things people can chat about and often come to a resolution.

Perhaps if you say where your job is, you might get a response from someone who actually works there?

All the best,
Crocus
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Health check Reply with quote

hotsands wrote:
Hi guys,

I have just been selected for an interview for a teaching position in the UAE and I am over the moon! I understand that if I am successful at interview I will need to have a medical on my arrival in the ME. Does anyone know what this consists of and what is checked?

Very good question, and I assume that the exam varies from place of employment to place of employment.

I was assured by many people that the MLI exam did not include a drug screen. They were wrong.

Of course I passed! Smile
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UAEU does an HIV test, chest x-ray, blood screen (for drugs presumably) and screenings of other, um, bodily excretions.

Essentially, no drugs, no communicable diseases (HIV and TB were the only ones mentioned by name).
hotsands

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Health check Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

You have been most helpful!
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the pee test...which isn't for drugs, but for the number 1 disease that people here suffer from...

I'll give you a hint...they are addicted to sugar here....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter as far as this question, but I am just curious.

In all of my years, I don't recall any teacher ever failing these medical tests. Has anyone here known of a new teacher being tossed out for failing any of them?

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Medical Reply with quote

Hi there:

They'll test you for HIV, most likely a chest xray for TB, and if you're going to teach the little ones, they might take urine and/or stool samples.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Teachers failing Reply with quote

In response to veiled sentiments, I have never known a teacher to fail, but I've watched a few sweat bullets! Sadly, my friend's husband works in another industry in Dubai, and as a manager, had to tell a newly employed man (who was handcuffed to a hospital bed) that he was HIV positive. The man and his family were promptly sent out on the next plain.

The brother of another friend of mine was found to be HIV positive upon arriving for his new job in Dubai, as well. However, she said he was treated much better, and had to leave the country within a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: