Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visa issued in Country/Which provinces?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volodiya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Z Visa issued in Country/Which provinces? Reply with quote

I thought it might be useful to note those provinces which have converted other visas to Z visas (not renewals of Z visas), in country, since January 1, 2005; and, those which have refused to do so, during that same time period.

"Yunnan, has refused, citing rule changes which forbid them from doing so."

Source of the information- administrative assistant who procures visas for the staff, and who has tried to do so, unsuccessfully, since the first of the year; whereas, before, she had no problem.
ekirving

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: No probelm in Sichuan Reply with quote

I arrived in China on an 'L' visa, got it extended in Chengdu, and then found work in the same city.

My school had no troubles (that they told me about) getting me the new foreign residency visa - the one that replaces the old 'Z' visa and seperate residency permit (the green book).

So, as of March 23, Sichuan seems to be a little behind in inforcing the new laws Smile
Talkdoc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volodiya wrote:
"Yunnan, has refused, citing rule changes which forbid them from doing so."

This is a great idea Volodiya.

Hainan Province - In-country conversion is not possible.
Liaoning Province - was not converting as of the time I left in August 2004

In both provinces, Z-Visa possession (prior to employment) is enforced.

Doc
clomper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guangdong province doesn't seem to have any problems as of last year when I came on an L visa.
Babala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were told at my school that Jiangsu will no longer allow the switch but I have seen some other posters on the forum who say that it is still possible. I would say that Jiangsu seems to be touch and go.
amandabarrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am one of those posters. I don't know what schools are saying in Jiangsu, but the PSB is saying they will change an 'L' Visa to a 'Z' Visa. I encourage anyone to call them and ask, if you speak any Chinese they will tell you it is absolutely legal, allowed, common. You can contact the Jiangsu PSB at 025-83526706. My city PSB is at changzhou 0519-6620200 ext. 3227.
AB
Volodiya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, clomper,

That's great, but we are focusing, now, on the period since January 1, 2005, when it appears that new instructions to the provinces were issued regarding converting other visas to Z visas.
jeffinflorida

Location: "I'm too proud to beg and too lazy to work" Uncle Fester, The Addams Family season two

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case someone didn�t read the controversial thread I started�

Fujian was cool about L to Z visa.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, we've had feedback to this thread on seven, out of the twenty-two provinces in China.

Please add your information, if you've had any type of visa converted to a Z visa, in country, since January 1, 2005; or, had such a request denied, during this same period.
cheeba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Great idea . . . Reply with quote

This is a better idea than those interminable back and forths on the law . . . something that is flexibly interpreted here. Got L changed to Z lat Feb. in Beijing, finally after 4 months, but the visa actually went through on Jan. 19, yes my company was messing around a bit. They also have major guanxi with PSB so this may not be applicable to all.
phillipl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived and worked in Chengdu for 3 years.

Around March 14th Chengdu PSB informed me (in the company of my College enployers) that they no longer could convert L and F visas to Z visas, their computer would not accept this change any longer. I had arrived from Sydney on an F visa. I had attempted to get a Z visa in Sydney but was told by the Consulate my documents were incomplete. (They would not return the documents to me.) I didn't ask for the F visa they just issued it instead of a Z. Initially the Chengdu PSB told me to go to Hong Kong to get a visa there. Which visa, I asked. I did not get an answer! They finally relented on the Hong Kong run. During this drawn out process my visa expired. I haven't been in possession of my passport since February 11th.

Last week they fined my 2,000RMB and issued me a 30 day L visa which is now being converted to a Z. This contradicts what they had previously told me.

Conclusion after further discussions with THE CHENGDU PSB:

F visas can absolutely no longer be converted to Z visas.

I am not clear on the ruling on L visas - maybe there is some grace period here.

In future Chengdu PSB said they want me to arrive from Australia on a Z visa. They said there is a new process in place to obtain this overseas more easily than before or have it organised (with old or new employer) before leaving China if the new Residency passport sticker will expire while in Australia - this is likely because the residency stickers they are issuing here expire the same day as your contract expires (confirmed by several foreign friends who have received this new Residency sticker here).

The future conversion of an L visa seems to be the grey area.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ekirving. I wonder if you would mind clarifying when you submitted your passport to your employer for the change of your visa to a Z visa; and, whether you've got your passport back, now, with the Z visa in it.

I'm asking, because I'm trying to reconcile your information with phillil's post. The events he described were apparently ocurring in Sichuan (Chengdu) at about the same time.
ekirving

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: cofirmation Reply with quote

Volodiya wrote:
Hi, ekirving. I wonder if you would mind clarifying when you submitted your passport to your employer for the change of your visa to a Z visa; and, whether you've got your passport back, now, with the Z visa in it.

Sure no problem.

My passport was submitted to the Chengdu PSB on March 23 (my employer had had my passport for some time before that).

I recieved my passport back on March 30, with the new residency visa inside.

phillipl wrote:
I am not clear on the ruling on L visas - maybe there is some grace period here.

From what I've experienced there must be.
randyj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An FAO in Anhui told me the authorities there no longer will change L to Z.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
latefordinner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talkdoc:
Quote:
Liaoning Province - was not converting as of the time I left in August 2004

My F was converted to a Z in Liaoning last September, no problem. Of course this doesn't satisfy Volodiya's original query, but I have to wonder if anything will. I have this gnawing doubt about the new and improved more stringent process. Perhaps it's a case of "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss"
Sorry to be sceptical, if not poisonously cynical, but TIC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: