Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a few specific questions about santiago

View previous topic :: View next topic  
denise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: a few specific questions about santiago Reply with quote

Hello, folks. I am still about two months away from moving to Chile, but I'm trying to stay on top of things. I've got a few very specific questions that are not teaching-related. I've been doing some online research and checking my trusty guidebook, but if anyone has any current information I'd be very grateful!

First--I've found a few vegetarian restaurants in Santiago: El Huerto, Unicornio, El Naturalista, and El Vegetariano. I just found these via a google search. Anyone know if they are still there? Any recommendations? Any other good veggie food? And, more generally speaking, how easy will it be for me to find vegan-friendly food?

Second--my childhood dream of being an Olympic figure skater is long gone, but for some (nostalgic?) reason I still insist on lugging my skates around the globe. Any rinks in Santiago? I found one in a ritzy hotel, but I think it's for hotel guests only. I'd like to know whether or not it's worth it to bring my skates--they're heavy and they take up an awful lot of space in my luggage!

Third--how difficult/expensive is it to get home internet service? I've read that there are loads of internet cafes, but if it's possible and affordable, I'd prefer the privacy of my own home.

Thank you for any information that you can give me. I've already learned quite a lot from lurking on the forum for a few months.

d
Breezee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Banda Ancha Reply with quote

Regarding home internet,

I get VTR unlimited high speed internet for around 30,000 pesos a month. It was not difficult to set up and it sure has been handy.

Breezee
denise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I'll look into VTR once I get there.

d
eileen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet at home: warning! Some phone companies will now only set up service if you have a Chilean ID (carnet). It wasn't that way with VTR in April, 2004, but when I tried to get service with Telef�nica in September of 2004, the law had changed, and you have to have the phone (and Internet) in someone else's name. You can't shop around phone companies, each building has a phone company that services it. I don't know if VTR changed their rules, as well.

Vegetarian food: of the ones I've tried, El Naturista is the best. El Vegetariano is pretty bland. I haven't tried El Unicornio, because they serve meat and I took that as a bad sign, but friends have been and told me the food was good. I've heard good things about El Huerto and La Huerta, but haven't been.

Being vegan... If you want to cook lots of food at home, you'll be great. Out and about it's tricky. Most veg options are just salad which tend to come with quesillo (sort of a soft cheese somewhere between yogurt and cheese). Or sometimes egg as well. I have never eaten so many cheese sandwiches in my life as since moving here. There is a Hare Krishna restaurant (supposedly) somewhere in Barrio Universitario (near metro ULA), but I've never been there. Many platters and sandwiches called vegetariano have turkey or chicken on them.

Ice skating: There is a rink at Florida Center, which is a big American-style mall at Mirador on the green line (line 4? Can't remember). I have never seen it, so I can't tell you its size. That's the only one I know about. I suppose it's possible that one of the ski centers at Farellones, Valle Nevado, or Lagunillas might have one, but I've never heard that they do. Maybe leave the skates at home Smile

Any other questions, feel free to message me. I don't check here that often.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTR with CableTV (recommended..Chilean TV isn't exactly that great...), high-speed internet and a phone line (calls are extra) costs 40000 a month. Not sure if you need a chilean friend to set it up though.
denise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, eileen and matttheboy!

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: