Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A ECC application question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: A ECC application question Reply with quote

on the ECC job application they ask a question , it go's > please explain how you would teach a lesson to a gropu of 3 studnets being a > 14yo old female school girl, a 30yo homemaker and a 50yp businessman..........
would i be on the right track if i suggested we discussed world events and television and movie stars ?..........
any suggestions, i mean what activities would we do given their differences in age to keep them all motivated ?
lajzar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
please explain how you would teach a lesson to a group of 3 students being a 14yo old female school girl, a 30yo homemaker and a 50yo businessman

They actually make classes like that at ECC? You're a braver man than I am if you don't mind teaching groups like that.

Basically, you can't do anything more than the basic lesson plan of whatever teh set text is without alienating at least two of the students in such a diverse groups. Or so I would think.
David W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to think of a topic or situation that would be common for all three like asking for directions or ordering food. Think context above all else, where and how can they use the language you will teach them.
Discussions are fine for high level classes. A class with a 14 year old in it won't be a high level class.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with language schools, you would rarely find the 14 year old in a group with people that much older. Not a real scenario, in my opinion.

My first response would be to ask if they are all the same level, and then to ask what kind of class I'm teaching (grammar, free talk, what?).

The 14 year old's concept of world events is far from that of the other people, and ditto for TV and movie stars. You'd have a lot of silence from some people in that class with such an approach.

If you have to face a general free talk discussion group like that, you'd better make sure that the levels of fluency are all the same, and it's dubious that you'd find such with those ages. In any case, if pressed for an answer, I'd say ask people about their impressions of your home country. See what they know. Ask what they would LIKE to do on their next vacations. Talk about their families. Tread lightly, but you might even work hobbies into the conversation. Or, ask what their experiences have been with using English or meeting foreigners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: