Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT waiting game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanmca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: HCT waiting game Reply with quote

Once you have been placed in the "application pool," how long does it take to usually hear from HCT?

I had an interview Monday, and they sent an email Wednesday saying the panel had recommended me for further consideration. In the same note, however, it stated that if I have not heard from them in six months, contact them again. I have read that they need teachers, but this is still not very reassuring to me...

I have had my sights on the UAE and HCT for a while now, but I have a great offer from another school that wants my signature real soon. I am afraid to turn down this other offer unless HCT has offered me a contract. Of course I could sign the contract, then back out; but I am not going to go that route.

Should I call HCT and tell them the situation?
Maybe I have been in Japan to long, but my gut tells me that putting pressure on them will get me nowhere.

Any advice?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to listen to your gut. This is an organization that seldom, if ever, responds to pressure. In fact, it may even backfire??

This is a really tough situation. All I can say is to weigh the pros and cons of each job. The question is whether you would be content to lose the Japan job - and NOT be hired by HCT. Your chances sound good, but there are no guarantees, of course? HCT is not nirvana, nor the most fantastic job or place to live.

Personally I probably wouldn't take the risk unless we are talking a significant raise in the UAE and you have a particular reason for either leaving Japan or going to the UAE. You could always go to the UAE in the future.

And then there is flipping a coin... Cool

VS
grand fromage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to tknow they are one of the most disorganized and often quite arrogant outfits to interview with. I could tell you stories of my attempts to get in in the last few years. I also know a few stories from my friends that have tried and failed or simply given up after a series of contradictory letters from different people in HR. While I'm not going to comment about myself, the friends who have been turned down were all qualified and dedicated professionals.

On the hiring level, which is centralized and can't be influenced by any college, it seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left one is doing. It seems like they have a policy of putting out fires rather than preventing them. The hotter it gets, the more disorganized they become in their efforts to get the hiring situation under control. For example, you can get an "URGENT APPLICATION" message from one person one day, then not hear from them ever again, or get a "we have more qualified candidates" message months down the road. And once you get in their system, this can happen to you on a repetitive basis as I don't think the different HR people eliminate your name once you've been crossed off or interviewed. I am also convinced that the teachers' good is not on the mind of most HR people who btw are paper-pushers, not teachers. This is a personal opinion based on my and friends' experiences with them so if anybody wishes to disagree, feel free to contribute.

BTW, should I reply to their latest message asking me for an interview?! I'm not kidding Sad Evil or Very Mad Confused Shocked
dogzB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: hct waiting game Reply with quote

Dear GF

If you feel this way about the HCT before they have even offered you something, then steer clear. What respect are you going to have for a company that has already treated you discourteously - at least that's what I read into your posting. You want to come to the UAE and you have a great job offer from another school; what are you doing messing around waiting for a reply from HCT for - take it! A bird in the hand and all that?

Good luck Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Mr Cheese,

Right on as usual. Thanks for the good laugh with my morning tea. Reading the leaves at the bottom of my cup is as good a way of predicting the actions of HCT Central Casting as any other.

I was trying to be sorta diplomatic. We do know that they need many more people for next year, so in 'theory' our OP may have a good chance, but now he can see what the problem is.

So... are you going to take 'em up on the offer for yet another interview? Rolling Eyes Wink

VS
grand fromage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogzb I think you were trying to reply to the original poster, not me. VS, glad I made you laugh Wink I decided to beat them at their own game and did not even reply this time. I think I have a bigger chance to get in through the "back door" so to speak. The CERT "back door" Smile The letters of intent should be here any day. Surely sooner than a job offer obtained through the right channels Wink This will also allow me to stay in AD rather than risk being sent to one of the outposts.
Janette Donovan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How difficult is it to get in through the back door. If one is already there, can you front up to the college with resume and quals in hand and receive a "local contract"?

Just wondering what chances are for hubby if he has missed out on normal route - he is still waiting to be screened.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF... do keep us posted on those pesky letters of intent. And if you don't get one, you can suddenly respond to their request for yet another interview.

I wonder what decision our original poster has made... will he ever come back and tell us what he decided... Oh well... perhaps he's still flipping the coin. (instead he's been trying to teach me how to use tabbed browsing on my Firefox)

VS

(I don't mean to ignore you Janette, but I don't really know the answer to that one...)
Afra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might get work as an adjunct but if he's screened out, I believe he'll have to wait a year or provide what they want in terms of new qualifications or whatever ( which may not seem very logical . . .) Adjuncts do become permanent staff but it can take repeated applications.
dogzB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: gf Reply with quote

Dear GF

Yeah, you're right - sometimes I just see red and lose all sight of reality - especially when there is a great job in the UAE that somone is turning down!!!!! - I want it!!!! Sorry - Embarassed
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem DB. Good luck with your quest (if you are on one Wink VS, I think you're reading my mind Wink I think I'll stop posting on this now. It may be better to lay low for a while-at least till the LOIs come through. I'll PM you the details once I know.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wait with bated breath, oh cheese... VS
seanmca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogzB wrote:
Dear GF
- especially when there is a great job in the UAE that somone is turning down!!!!! - I want it!!!!

Sorry I was not clear. The other job is not in the UAE, it's in Asia.
It's a fantastic job and the money is not too shabby, but it's not UAE money. Like a bug, I am instinctively drawn to the bug-zapper, I mean $$$..

Thanks for all the advice GF,DB, and VS.

Still haven't signed, but I have basically made up my mind. I know exactly what the other job will entail, and I would rather go with a sure thing. If I knew I could teach the B.Ed. ELT classes at HCT, I might reconsider... I don't have anything against HCT and think I would fit in;
but I have never had ANY luck gambling.(I just finished DEAD last in the NCAA tourney pool over here, losing by over 100 points to the winner), so I just don't think this is the time to start.

And, as the sagacious VS said... "You could always go to the UAE in the future."

P.S. My son was born in "Saga-City" Japan....should be a wise kid Razz
P.P.S. If you need to look up the word Sagacity, like I did when a Japanese teacher mentioned it to me, you can highlight the word, right click, and do a google search in a new "tab." Another reason why you should expand you mind with tabs..... Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the thing is that I already know the meaning of 'sagacity.' Confused

But seriously, if you have a child, better to go with the sure thing.

Maybe if you finally get an offer from HCT, you could refer them to DogzB, and then everyone would be happy!

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: