Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

meeting other Westerners in UAE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: meeting other Westerners in UAE Reply with quote

I am considering working in UAE in about 1 year, after I graduate with my teaching degree.

But tell me, is there much chance to meet other Westerners over there? I mean, folks from Canada, USA, Australia, & Europe? Don't mean to sound bigoted - (I'm not!) - but I worry that I might feel culturally isolated without some other people from the Western world to hang with.

And if there are Westerners, are many of them of the female variety? Just looking before I leap. Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UAE is crawling with Western expats. Laughing As far as single women, they are pretty rare and if you are under 25-30, rare as hen's teeth and you will have heavy competition for their ... companionship.

You mention that you are just graduating. If this means that you are in your early 20's I would suggest that the Gulf is not the best choice. First off to get the decent jobs, you need experience. Second, the majority of expats in education are over 40 and mostly married with kids.

VS
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: in Dubai too? Reply with quote

OK, sounds pretty bleak for us single chaps. Is this the case in Dubai as well?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubai is better than most places in the Gulf and you do have all those Russian 'visitors' - not to mention other European tourists who come for a break from winter, but this ain't Bangkok. (not even close)

VS
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: OK bottom line Reply with quote

Hi Vieled;

I think you are a western female, so that helps answer my question!

But seriously: if a single Canuck came over for a couple years, is he likely to find at least a few prospects for dates? I would of course date (non-Muslim) Arab women, but would also hope to have some social contact with single Western women under 35. So, bottom line: what is your opinion of my prospects in Dubai?

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty as charged... yup, still a female...

I'd say demand is much higher than supply in the under 35 age group.

I am a bit confused about: "I would of course date (non-Muslim) Arab women"

ummm... really?? not sure how many of these there are and I can't say that I ever met anyone who dated one... probably fewer of them than Western women in the inventory. I think if you hang out where the European tourists do during the winter, you would have a decent chance. I will say the same thing to you as I do to the younger single women who ask me about going to the Gulf... don't expect to find Mr/Ms Right in the Middle East. You could, of course, but keep the expectations low. In Dubai, your chances are better than anywhere else in the Gulf, I'd say, of at least having some good times and meeting some interesting people.

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle,

You could date *me*. Wink

Of course, I'm not in Dubai...
Afra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of under-35 single women in Dubai, you just have to look in any bar, nightclub or even the 'social' pages of the Gulf News. But they probably aren't teachers, which might not be a bad thing!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not disagreeing Afra, but 'lots' is a relative term. Laughing

There are 'lots' in Canada and 'lots' in Asia, but I would say that in the Middle East, the situation is still that demand far outstrips supply. Dubai has 'lots' compared to Al-Ain or Muscat or Manama.

A fellow has to depend on his charm and good looks!! Cool I would compare it to my growing up in a small town near a large military base. We local girls did have the advantage - sorta like the situation for the Western women in the Gulf... right ka-CHING? It was flattering to have 25-35 year olds asking me out when I was in my late 40's, but I knew that it wasn't for my pulchritude. Wink

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta like that pulchritude. Cool
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It was flattering to have 25-35 year olds asking me out when I was in my late 40's, but I knew that it wasn't for my pulchritude. Wink

They say it's all about BONE STRUCTURE... Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that one of them there double entrendre thingies? Embarassed

VS
Afra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/index.php
I think you are rather out-of-date. Have a look at what is available in Dubai nowadays. My twenty-something family has no shortage of places to go with people around their age when they visit. Dubai has changed considerably in the past few years.
Crazy Eagle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: I checked it out Reply with quote

Thanks Afra!

Wow, if Time Out is any indication, then Dubai really rocks! Cool I had no idea ... I was picturing women in burkas (or whatever those hideous outfits are called) and religious police chasing people out of bars.

But, like you say, I guess Dubai has changed considerably in the past few centuries ...

But seriously. You say your family has no shortage of folks to hang with. OK, but who are these folks? Tourists? Ex-pat workers? Mostly from where? Doing what over there? Hmmm ... maybe I should go to Dubai.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not out of date, just putting things in perspective. That is an advertising site, selling a great deal of fantasy. It doesn't look like anything new since 2001. So, I stand by my statements - it is relative, and this ain't the West - nor is it the Far East.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: