Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT Online Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bachrocks1685

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: HCT Online Application Reply with quote

Hello everyone and thanks to all for the many helpful comments regarding living and working in the ME. I have been studiously reading the various posts and would like to give working in the UAE or KSA a try. I have been trying for the past couple of days to access the online application at the HCT website, but all I get is the "HTTP 404 - File not found." Could anyone advise me how I might apply before it is too late and all the posts are filled?

Oh, I will be applying for an ESL position. I have an MA in TESL from the the US. I have taught in Asia for 7 years.

Oddly, I am one of those who love winter, and the post from Korea in the UGRU topic sure whet my appetite for a job there, but in spite of the heat, I feel this irresistable pull toward the ME.

Thank you
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going in through this page. www.recruit.hct.ac.ae

I got to English jobs and a page that says you need to register and lists procedures. So the site seemed to be working up to that point.

Good Luck (it says that applications are open till May 15)

VS
bachrocks1685

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you veiledsentiments for your kind help and prompt reply. I tried your suggestion but still only got the 404 page not found. Then I thought it might be the Safari browser (Mac) that I'd been using, as it had screwed up some pages from another site, although it had never caused a page not to load. I then tried Firefox and Internet Explorer. No Luck.

This reminds me of trouble I had a few years ago in the states accessing amazon.com. A computer firend said the the DNS name server was causing the trouble. For some reason, it would not properly match the URL to the site's IP address. He gave me the IP of amazon.com and it worked perfectly.

In all honesty, I can't imagine why only I am having this difficulty. Maybe it is the internet card I buy - I'm on dail-up here. I will check this when I go into work in a few days. Hopefully, I can access it from there. In any case, I feel much better knowing that the application deadline is still at least a month away.

Cheers from sunny Bangkok.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when it comes to computers, I am the last person to give advice. I am pretty useless concerning them although a friend told me that I am now actually an official nerd because I downloaded Firefox!! (but I have never been able to figure out tabbed browsing...)

Good Luck

VS
seanmca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the security settings on your MAC. Lower them if you can.
I don't know too much about MACs, but look for an "allow all cookies" in the options bar.

If all else fails, borrow a PC. I had trouble access the HCT site with
the Opera Web browser the other day on my PC, so there
could be a conflict with MAC version of IE and the HCT website.

And you might want to download the "Kill Bill Gates" game to take out your frustrations. Wink

P.S. For browsing with tabs, hold down control and shift, then click on a link. It's the best thing since sliced bread.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sean, but I have never been able to figure WHY I would want to have these tabs...

I have friends who have written volumes to me about how to do it and how wonderful it is and how they just love it... and I still don't get it. (I also hate cellphones and refuse to use one... except as an emergency phone and I have never actually used it...) So, basically I am hopeless. Laughing

VS
seanmca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Thanks Sean, but I have never been able to figure WHY I would want to have these tabs...

I usually have four or five pages open at a time, to the tabs keep the task bar from being full. If I am reading and see a link I might want to read later, I open a new tab in the backgroud. I can keep reading the current page, while another page opens in the background. It's really handy with a dial up cause pages load in the background, so you don't have to wait as long.

veiledsentiments wrote:

I also hate cellphones and refuse to use one... except as an emergency phone and I have never actually used it

I am fairly certain that I am the last human in Japan without a cell phone. I think my neighbor's cat even has a cell phone.
(a Hello Kitty phone of course) Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean

I guess I am more of a 'read the page and go on' type of person. I don't find the 'back' button to be all that onerous. But, I am on DSL too. Cool

Speaking of 'hello kitty'... I have a friend in Asia who informed his uni students that anyone with anything 'hello kitty' would be failed - and he made them all get rid of their twee little pencil cases and notebooks. Well... they were law students...

VS
bachrocks1685

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd really like to do is smash Bill Gates' piggy bank, then take out my frustrations with a little help from his money.

I was walking in the park today trying to think of a good analogy for the use of tabs. Here's what I came up with. Browsing without tabs is like carrying 3 or 4 wallets - one for your cash, one for your credit card, one for you Hello Kitty Fan Club card, and one for your driver's license. On the other hand, browsing with tabs is like having everything neatly arranged in one wallet, quite handy and compact.

Cheers!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you two fellows just think you're so smart... she said.... pouting...

I'm just soooooo happy not to have pop-up ads that I don't care about your silly tabs!! One site at a time is just fine with me. I'm not greedy. Cool

VS
bachrocks1685

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments,

Oh no, it looks like the cat is now out of the bag. Okay, I admit - I don't have a long enough attention span to be able to focus on one page for an extended period of time. And I always thought I was so clever to be reading 3 or 4 pages at a time. Hold on a minute, let me tab over and do a google search on ADD.

Actually, I'm in a good mood now. I had previously sent an email requesting an application from KFUPM and it just arrived. Trying to get a job sure is a roller coaster ride on the emotions, isn't it?

bye

Last edited by bachrocks1685 on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad to be out of the job hunting thing. That first ME job is usually difficult. Since I got my MA in the Middle East, I immediately had a network. Wasta rules!! (just in case you don't know the Arabic, it means that it's not who you are, but who you know...) Cool

VS
bachrocks1685

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thank you veiledsentiments. It is always a monumental undertaking to begin life in a new culture. If I make it to the ME, it will be as a student of sorts. I will earn my bread with my knowledge of English, but I will pass my days learning a whole new way to look at our world. Maybe, I might even accrue a little wasta if I work and study hard.

To all respondents, thank you so much for helping this ME newbie find his way in a new world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: