Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airfare Included?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Airfare Included? Reply with quote

Hi again,

Glancing at the few jobs that are advertised in Japan on this site and have noticed the vast majority of them have limited applicants to those already living in Japan.

In Korea it was quite normal for a school to fly a teacher over there after signing the contract. Is the same not true for Japan? Thanks...
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

No, it's not common practice at all. In fact, none of the Big Four fly you to Japan, although a couple of them offer to reimburse you for airfare AFTER you complete a year's contract.

The only place that advertises widely about flying you to Japan is JET.

You'll have to look at other job boards on Japan to get a clearer picture of who wants applicants already living in Japan or not. A rough survey of www.ohayosensei.com will show that about half of the schools want teacher applicants to reside in Japan.
icollin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Airfare Reply with quote

My friend went to S.Korea to teach and his airfare was paid...when he got there, he got screwed big time!! The appartment wasn't what they said it would be, and they work conditions kept changing every minute. He had to come back after 1 week and a half because the conditions were too bad

I rather pay $1000 to fly, and have a real job...And you do have a bonus at the end of the year that covers the return part of your ticket.
Sherri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airfare is not included simply because the schools don't need to pay it to attract teachers. There are plenty of teachers already here and unlike Korea because of the flexible visa system, it is easy for teachers resident in Japan to move from job to job.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: yes, but... Reply with quote

Sherri,

You're right except that some employers hire ONLY from abroad. Since they have deep pockets, you'd think SOME of them would provide airfare. (At least that's the opinion of some teachers. I see it from the standpoint of the school. Why fly someone here when they will quit your school in a month to look for something else? Hence, the reimbursement I wrote about above.)
Sherri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski I agree with you. I am fairly sure these schools do not pay airfare because a large percentage of the people they hire move on to greener pastures later in the contract year. I also suspect that these schools are more or less forced to hire from abroad because it would be very difficult for them to recruit enough teachers for their needs purely from the pool of teachers already here. Among other things I think they actually prefer the "just off the boat" type teacher to more seasoned professionals. At least they do make the effort to interview people--though I can't say I know anything about the quality of their interviews. That is more than some of the smaller schools do. How they can hire someone sight unseen is a mystery to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: