Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Bahrain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: University of Bahrain Reply with quote

I noticed that the University is advertising for people. I wonder if anyone has any information on what it's like to work there? Salary/benefits/ etc.

I'm working in Oman just now; great country, nice students, dreadful money - the trouble is that it's money I need above the rest at this stage in my life!

I'd appreciate any information or advice.

Many thanks.
Crocus
ohman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please tel me where you saw the ad?
ntropy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago, did a telephone interview with them. SOunded very pleasant and a nice work atmosphere. WOuld have taken it if had been offered. Money on the low end of the Gulf uni scale. About 30000 USD at the time.
crocus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: University of Bahrain Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for replying to this post; much appreciated.

Ohman: they're still advertising for both their College of Arts (PhD) and Language Centre (Masters) on their website - http://www.uob.bh/opportunite-2.htm

Ntropy: thanks for that information. The salary may be on the lower end of the ME scale, but it's still more than I'm getting here!

I'd be glad to get more info, if anyone has any.

Many thanks.

Crocus
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahrain is very expensive.
30000 US is not really enough for a good standard of living.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a post somewhere else from a guy who was PLEASED to find a job paying 500BD a month (about US$1,300).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that as long as you are also provided with the usual Gulf benefits of furnished housing, tickets, and medical care, this would be more than enough to live well and save.

I doubt that Bahrain is much more expensive than any of the other countries. I have made less than that and saved plenty. Of course much depends on life style. Smile

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: 2,500 greenies Reply with quote

Two and a half big ones (ie US$2,500) a month would be fine IF YOU GOT ACCOMMODATION AND TICKETS.

I would want health cover and educational allowances too.

Word is that is not what you will get !

I hear the British Council pays 1000 Bahraini Dinars a month with free accommodation (but only 500 if you are recruited locally !)

US$4 = 1.5 BD
medway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Bahrain and Oman Reply with quote

I have worked for the Universities in both places, and enjoyed the completely different ambiences of each: Bahrain for the bars and clubs, Oman for the unspoiled beaches and offroading. I'd say Oman is preferable if you are the quiet type, Bahrain is a bit frenetic. If its money you are after, you will spend more than you earn in Bahrain! Depends on your lifestyle, of course, but the temptations are there! The language centre in BU is professional enough..I was in the College of Arts, and enjoyed my years there. The students are much more politically aware than in Oman, which is fairly off the map even in MiddleEast terms. If you want to earn 1000 Omani rials, you won't do it in Bahrain. try KFUPM in Khobar, which is 40 mins drive from Bahrain over the bridge...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: