Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARE YOU thinking of coming to UAE for HCT/MLI/...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holymoly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: ARE YOU thinking of coming to UAE for HCT/MLI/...? Reply with quote

If you are overseas and contemplating a move to either of these places which are supposed to become one entity soon, you should think again.

1) The 15%pay raise looks like its all a bunch of hot air as are many of the things the rosy recruitement propoganda turns out to be anyway. Housing/benefits for teachers doesn't improve and neither do salaries but costs of living in the UAE constantly rise unabated.

2) The terms of employment and QUALITY of treatment by these employers continues to deteriorate. How long can these institutions expect to get away with treating employees badly and not expect the word to spread internationally?

3) The takeover/transition that is occuring between these institutions is a mystery and causing people with families, loans and very real obligations a great deal of duress. Keeping things shrouded in mystery is no way to treat your employees. HCT/MLI should live up to it's hype of being a modern organization. How can anyone take silly, empty conferences on student motivation, teacher development etc, etc. the least bit seriously when teachers can't get straight answers from administrators about their livelihoods!?

So, if you are being sold on the salary these places offer you at that recruitment fair, keep in mind that along with all the seemingly good things in life, there are sacrifices to be made.

Think hard before accepting that "contract" as they like to call it. (never worth the paper its written on anyway)
AND THATS THE TRUTH.

OUT!
HOLYMOLY
lionbrian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: WHERE TO GO? WHERE IS MONEY & FUN? Reply with quote

It seems according to your post that there is no hope to move to the UAE and work for the best places. Right! Embarassed

Then, I need your advice. Where to go????????????? Rolling Eyes
Saudi Arabia Very Happy , Oman Sad , Qatar Surprised , Korea Shocked , Japan Confused , East Europe (Am $ 150/Month) Laughing No thanks, OR JUST GO HOME & CHILL OUT ON WELFARE! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks a lot for your input as it has helped me a lot to stay away from the places that you have mentioned!

THANKS A MILLION!

YOU ARE A GREAT GUY BECAUSE YOU SAY THE TRUTH & EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS UNLIKE OTHER FOLKS!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionbrian,

People involved with the MLI mess are pretty upset right now about the big questions marks concerning their employment. So, I wouldn't generalize holymoly's post into any blanket statement concerning the employment situation in the UAE. It is just one employer. I don't blame any of the teachers at MLI for being a bit hysterical at this point in the year. They have families and children and lives that are in limbo.

When the story came out that HCT would be taking over, there was about a nanosecond of hope that things might get on track this year. Up to his message, none of the teachers yet know whether they will have a job next year or not with the 'new MLI.' It is completely unacceptable what they have put these teachers through this year.

So, as to working at the 'best places' - MLI hasn't been one of the 'best places' for 2-3 years now. And I doubt that it will be again soon. But, holymoly's statements don't really change the situation with any other UAE employer - including HCT's Colleges which have nothing at all to do with MLI.

VS
lionbrian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: WOW!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

1000 Thanks Veil,

WOW! Another honest and very expressive poster!
skyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: what's it like working for HCT? Reply with quote

Hi I may have an interview soon for HCT position. Would somebody who works there say what the salary is, what type of accomodation do you receive. Is the pay good? Can you save? What are students like? I see there has been a new take over what does that mean? What is the administration like? Would it be a good move to take a position there as compared to another college or University? Why or why not?
Skyman
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a search? These topics have been discussed lots here. Smile

Check out the Job Information Journal and you can read a few rants. As to your pay, it depends on your credentials and experience. It seems to range from 10-12,000 DHs per month. Housing is usually very good, but varies by which city you are assigned to. I saved 80-90% of my salary, but that depends on your lifestyle. I taught women and enjoyed them greatly. Administration varies by college.

Without knowing you or your interests and experience and expectations, we are just speculating. I liked it well enough there, some love it, some hate it - most are in the middle. As to whether it is a good move to take a position there compared to others - it depends on who the other are and if you could get an offer there. Generally speaking, it is still one of the better employers in the Gulf. First you have to get through the interview where more fail than get an offer.

VS
kurious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received an offer of employment from HCT in Ras Al-Khaimah and would appreciate any new and/or inside information on the following:

1. Do the incremental salary increases really exist ... if so, in what amount and who gets them?

2. The contract stipulates an "8am -5pm" workday, however there is no indication of contact hours ... what is the average amount of time one can expect to be in the actual classroom?

3. Are inter-college transfer requests frowned upon or can teachers easily relocate within the HCT system?

4. I seem unable to find much information specifically related to Ras Al-Khaimah on the Interent (i.e., best/worst places to live, recreational acitivities, expat community) ... can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Kurious
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurious,

RAK used to be a real backwater, but I found it oddly attractive. It was pretty much just a large village the first time I went there, but I just heard that there has been a fancy new hotel built. And lots of new shops too.

I have a friend currently working there and she loves the place. Others I have known found it too small and boring. Quiet, it is. That said, there is an advantage to being at one of the smaller branches of HCT - and it is far away from the main office. Laughing Naturally the expat community is pretty small - and you work with most of them!!

It is not far from Dubai so one can head down on weekends for a break or for shopping. When they first started up there, they had to also complete a building for teacher flats. They were huge and much better equipped than some other cities. Some people have gone on their own and rented villas with an allowance.

It is possible to transfer to other branches, but it is based on their needs, not your desire to move. Thus, it could take you a year or two or three to move. It probably would not be a good move politically to ask for a move too soon - tends to alienate your supervisors. I would wait until the end of my first academic year myself...

If your contract states incremental salary increases, you will get them. As I recall, they did not have them in the past. You got a raise when you got a new contract. Hopefully a current employee will come on - or send me a PM if they prefer. There was just a discussion of contact hours lately... I think it was about 20??

VS
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurious wrote:
I have just received an offer of employment from HCT in Ras Al-Khaimah and would appreciate any new and/or inside information on the following:

2. The contract stipulates an "8am -5pm" workday, however there is no indication of contact hours ... what is the average amount of time one can expect to be in the actual classroom?

4. I seem unable to find much information specifically related to Ras Al-Khaimah on the Interent (i.e., best/worst places to live, recreational acitivities, expat community) ... can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Kurious

HCT, I believe, did some sort of a juggle this year by reducing the length of class periods and increasing the number of them that people had to teach. I'm not too sure how it worked: maybe someone from HCt will comment. I think the total contact hours is still about 20 - it just gets divided into more class periods.

RAK is a beautiful place to live - sea on one side, mountains on the other, all modern amenities, malls, hotels, etc without the seething hustle that is Dubai. But if Dubai's what you want, you can get there in just over an hour.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the juggle was "move a contact hour from
40 minutes=1 hour
to
55 minutes=1 hour

No change in contact hours, still 20 per week" as you stated.

So doing Gulf math, nothing changed. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: