Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please advise with specifics on cost-of-living issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsteacher in fl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Please advise with specifics on cost-of-living issues Reply with quote

Can someone provide me with specifics re: cost of living in Rome? Here are some specific questions I have (if you can, please provide the answers in euros):
1--What do monthly utilities cost for a typical two-bedroom apt.?
2--What do average groceries (food only) for two people/small family run per week?
3--How much money should I plan on spending on public transportation in a month? (assuming an "average" lifestyle, living fairly close to work)
4--What are typical medical costs, specifically prescription drugs, compared to US prices? (we will have Italian ins + private ins). For example, what does a typical doctor's visit cost (copay) if covered w/ Italian health ins?

One more cost-related question--Is it possible to get insurance coverage for our personal items in a rented apt (like renter's insurance here in US)?

Any other advice on living expenses would be very welcomed. Best-case scenario, my husband and I are planning on making a good salary (about the same that we're making currently in Florida as high-school teachers) at an international school, if all works out!
Thanks!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we pay for a small flat in Rome (1 bedroom, 1 living room, kitchen and bathroom):

Electricity - 150� every two months
Telephone - about the same (but we have 24/7 internet connection). We could reduce this by not calling internationally...
Gas - about 20� every two / three months
Condominium (heating / light) - 70� every month

For two of us we spend around 150� on food / wine and household per week. We eat well, but prefer to buy food from the local outdoor markets - cheaper and better quality than the local supermarket.

A monthly metro / bus / tram ticket costs 30�. You can travel anywhere inside of the GRA (ring road) as much as you like.

If you sign up for Italian residency, you'll be able to use the Italian health service and enjoy exactly the same benefits as Italian citizens. Doctors visits are free, and prescriptions for medicines are very low cost. Even if some medication is not covered by the national service (such as anti-hystemines) you pay less than cost price if your doctor has recommended you for a course of treatment. For example, you might pay 10 euros for 20 anti-hystemine tablets. If you need to do blood tests, have gynae tests etc, you pay a small fee. Emergency treatment is free of charge. For example, my gynae charges 80� for a full check-up for her clinic patients, and 30� for those women who also use her as their regular doctor.

Dentists charge more, like everywhere, but I only pay mine if he thinks I need work doing. Otherwise I get free check-ups. Such is the system in Italy!

I don't know anything about insurance - sorry. Our flat has some heavy-duty locks on it, and if you live in a condominium with porter facilities, you feel a lot safer.

Good luck!
hsteacher in fl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the details! Very Happy ---
RE: safety issues--are there certain areas of Rome that we should be particularly wary of (re: violent crime, etc)? Any other advice re: things we might not think of (things to bring, etc)?
I look forward to any additional input!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I can't think of any areas that are dangerous in terms of crime. If you are working in an international school, you should be earning a high enough salary to be able to afford a nice flat in a good neighbourhood. Generally, the further out of Rome, the more concrete. Conversely, you pay a lot more for a place that is central / semi-central. Expect to pay at least 1000� a month in rent for a one-bedroom place in semi-central Rome.

Don't bring electrical items with you without transfomers - the voltage system here is different from US system. (I'm a little hazy on the details, but check this.) I don't think that US televisions will work here, for example.

You can get pretty much everything here - what sort of things did you have in mind to bring?
hsteacher in fl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Not really concerned about anything specific Reply with quote

I was just wondering if there is anything that you wish you had brought with you--some gadget or other that would make life that little bit easier---I travel really light, so I'm not planning on bringing much...
Thanks so much for your detailed input!
Very Happy
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing. All the gadgets I have I've bought here: iron, food mixer, b/f's hair-.clipper - what other gadgets do you mean? We bought washing machine, fridge, TV, DVD player, laptop and accessories here, wiithout any problems. The only luxury items I can't get here (or can't get the full range of) are books, DVDs and music. But I go to the UK at least once a year (cheap air fares with Ryanair) and there's always Amazon.

You can get your house cheaply furnished with IKEA; you can buy good food and wine at reasonable prices; travel around Rome and Italy is generally frequent and reasonably-priced; you can import goods easily from other countries: moving from the US to the Italy should be relatively hassle-free as long as you have the right paperwork.

Hope things go smoothly for you!
jnesta1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Teach,

You've received a lot of info already, but if you want more, there's a great forum about living/moving to Italy at virtualitalia.com, and there are a couple good books out there that were, I believe, written by teh moderator of that forum.

Buona fortuna!

JN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: