Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian in Lyon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andreae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Canadian in Lyon Reply with quote

Hi-

I am leaving next week to amsterdam, and thinking of stopping in lyon to scout out english schools. I want to teach english in lyon - i have a degree and a TESOL certif. I am thinking about moving there for either june or july.

I have also looked into getting a french working visa -canadian's can get this for up to 1 year.

What I want to know is the following:

1. Do you recco. any good/great schools that exist in Lyon that I should apply to? How do I find their names? I have been searching the internet, but haven't found any specific names. I would like to be able to send my resume/cv ahead of time to possibly book some meeting appointments. Is this wise?

2. Is it worth it for me to even visit lyon, or can I do all my legwork over the internet? [is there the possibility of showing up and schools telling me that i needed to book an appointment first...?]

3. I am preparing a cover letter, resume, and references. I have been told that i also need copies of my TESOL certif and BA degree to prove that they exist. True? Are photocopies ok, or do i need to go to a notary public to get 'verified' documents? how important is this?

4. Is lyon a good place to think about teaching in? I was also contemplating bordeaux. *I want something in the south*

thanks
ae Very Happy
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Lyon or Bordeau languages Reply with quote

go to www.pagesjaunes.fr
enter enseignement langues in the rubrique
enter Lyons (or Bordeaux) in the city
and click

That will list language schools in those areas

A 'famous' Lyon 'school' is currently advertising vacancies
andreae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: i found a list... Reply with quote

Hi-

Thanks for the tip.

I have been looking at the list of schools through this link:

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en

I trust this is the one you pointed me too.

In addition - what is this 'famous' school that is hiring? any names???

Very Happy
go2guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrea -- I'm a CDN (with a Brit. passport) currently working in Lyon. There are lots of teaching opps here. June and July aren't the best months to find work though. But if you want to get settled in before the fall and "attack" then, that's not a bad idea. Send me an e-mail if you want more info; I can even give you my phone number then & you can call me if you like. Good luck.
wannabetrekker

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey andreae, I am actually in the same boat as you. I am from Canada, I do have a working knowledge of the french language and university experience. I have just finished my TESOL and plan to move to France during the month of July, hopefully if it all goes well.

I have been doing a lot of research the last couple months and from what my friends tell me based on my situation Lyon would be one of the better places to go and teach. Paris would be good and thats where I would like to go but its just too expensive. If I find a good paying job in Paris or just outisde Paris that would be great but the odds are against me. Financially Lyon would be better.

Does any one else know where else I could go in France? I heard Nice would be good but I am not sure. Any one have any suggestions? A place where people are nice, eager to learn english and not so so expensive.

Thank you all in advance.
Blakpepa

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreae...

Just wondering if you are in Lyon as yet. I am a Canadian who will be going to Lyon this fall to study at the university and I would like to work as a ESL teacher. Any advice on obtaining a teaching job in Lyon?

Thanks

Last edited by Blakpepa on Fri May 27, 2005 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: