Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU citizens teaching in the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: EU citizens teaching in the USA Reply with quote

We have non-stop postings from US citiozens who want to teach English in the European Union. What about citizens of EU member states teaching in the US of A ?

If someone is a graduate, with EFL certification and experience, and British or Irish citizenship, how easy is it to get a LEGAL job in the US of A ?

What about working there illegally ? We see hundreds of postings (hyperbole !) from N. Americans who want to work illegally in Europe !

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Brooks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Chicago and New York I think it is possible for EU members to teach math or science in the public schools.
There was an article a while ago about Austrians teaching math in New York.

Brooks
JSJR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave your question some thought. It's trure that most Americans can't get jobs in the EU, and most EU citizens can't find work in the United States.

However, there is a shortage of teachers in almost all of our public school systems, so you do stand a chance of working in one of them. If you seriously intend on teaching here then you should:

1) Come to America.
2) Buy local newspapers and look in the help wanted.
3) Answer ads and be persistent.
3) Be prepared to prove your teaching skills and most importantly,
4) be prepared to DEMONSTRATE FLEXIBILITY.

I offer all this based on my own college and working experience. There are always hundreds of ads in local newspapers for teachers. I've also worked with many Europeans (Germans, Scots, Swedes...) who were far smarter than me but failed because they just weren't flexible enough.

So anyway, I hope this helps... America does need a few good teachers!

John
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Yeah, Demonstrate Flexibility and Bring Your Uzi .... Reply with quote

Some American teachers do not want to teach in the US.I don't.Reasons include lack of support from the admin at many schools, lack of support from the parents,actual physical danger at some schools.If you can go overseas and find a decent TESOL gig(yes,I know,that is not so easy),you can have a job without getting socked for US taxes,save some money,see some foreign countires,etc.Yes,I know very well that TESOL has problems.It also has a few advantages.At this point,I would much rather teach overseas than in the US !
mortus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will relay some of the experience of a TEFL teacher from Scotland I worked with here in Texas.

Her boyfriend was transferred to this country with his job and she came along. She went to this language school for adults. The boss said "OK, I will give you the paperwork for the visa but you have to pay for it"...she did and had to go to Mexico and reenter the country to get the visa...and boom! a 2 or 3 year work visa. I think she also hired an attorney to help her through the process. This might have changed since Sept. 11th however.

She thought about applying to work in the school system here teaching children. I think that she was going to have to get her university transcripts "translated"...which is a process where a transcript company changes the academic information into US equivalents. She already had the British equivalent of a teaching certificate (GCSE or something like that?) and I think that helped, but you don't necessarily need one if you only intend on teaching here for a couple of years. Many of the large school districts are going to Canada and Mexico looking for teachers so it is not unheard of for foreign teachers to get jobs here.

She did not, by the way, have the CELTA.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGCE is Post Graduate Certificate in Education.... That is what you do after a first degree in the UK to get qualified teacher status.

GCSE is General Cert of School Ed what was called Matriculation in the bad old days ie the exam you take in secondary school to prove you have some education
dyak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a no-brainer but it is possible to organise a job in the US from Europe, or is it best to go there without?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: