Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using these new fangaled mobile telephonic devices in Mexico

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mobile phones affect your relationship with the world
Yes, I�ve lost touch with the world and can only speak to others via text
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, I�m a happy confident individual, who conducts all my dirty 0898 calls via a land line
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Pete Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Using these new fangaled mobile telephonic devices in Mexico Reply with quote

I have a love/hate realtionship with my mobile telephone.
Sometimes she�s a kindly helpful device that lets me go out and see friends, Laughing
Sometimes shes Jealous and will only give me messages days after my friends have sent them. Sad
I wish I could leave her, put her down and never return to her!
But the lure to gently place her next to my head and microwave my brain with her thousand little words is to much. Embarassed
I�m deeply attached to her and can�t walk away. Crying or Very sad
So I want, no Need to be able to take her with me to Mexico.

Questions

Is there one network that generally covers all of Mexico?

Can you buy SIM cards to gentley insert into your phone?

Do the do the prostitute like pay and go service exist there, or do you have to enter the more marrige like contract?

What�s the cost of up keep for such a mistress as mine?

Cheers

A deeply desturbed individual

PS.
Please don�t tell my misses I�m taking my mobile.(Shes made threats John Bobit style)
dduck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telcel claim to cover all of Mexico; I've seen their adverts. And I believe they have a prepay package available.

I had a 'mobile', for six years, but gave it up before I came to Mexico. I have had the occasional bout of withdrawal symptoms, but I seem to be managing without it. Confused

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Leave my phone!! Reply with quote

Iain
A shiver passes down my spine, I dab the cold sweat away from my brow as I consider leaving her. Cut off from the world how will I survive. How will I know I�m popular without the constant beebs of messages received or the faint vibration in my pocket of another call!!!

On a more serious note, I found my mobile to be the main source of work especially with regards to my lucrative private classes here in Madrid. You say you survive without it, but I�ve also noted the extensive discussion on the trouble of land lines out there in Mexico, Are carrier pigeons an option or are they liable to theft. Or is most of the work out there word of mouth?

Cheers for info
Hope your Job turns out to be a good one!

Pete
dduck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not long after posting that message I went out and bought myself a handset.

I used to work in the telecoms industry for a number of years, so I'm familar with the how handsets work in Europe. However, I was shocked to see how complicated Telcel have made their system.

Things I dislike:

1. Each mexican state seems to be a different zone - you are roaming when you happen to be in a different state than your home state.
2. It seems you have to pay to receive "long distance" calls. Which means when you're "roaming" in a different part of Mexico you have to pay.

Whereas in Europe, each country is considered a zone. I'd have to cross a national border before I start paying international call charges.

Is this is standard in North America? Or just some weird system that Telcel have cooked up? Mad

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Europes would fit into Mexico? or North America? If I drove north for four days (8 hours driving a day) I'd still be in Mexico. If you were in Belgium and drove south east for four days, how many countries would you pass through?

That aside, with all the cell phone companies in Mexico, it costs more than regular calls. But it is either caller pays or reciever pays. You can get an all caller pays plan from some companies. Which means you pay nothing and anyone who calls you pays the charge from where ever they call. (These phones have special prefixes so the caller is usually aware of it) I personally avoid cell phones (I've only ever talked on one twice) so all my information comes from television commercials. In which case, feel free to completely disregard it! Razz
dduck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELEE wrote:
How many Europes would fit into Mexico? or North America? If I drove north for four days (8 hours driving a day) I'd still be in Mexico. If you were in Belgium and drove south east for four days, how many countries would you pass through?

Well, you'd be surprised!

Land masses, taken from the web.

Europe 9,938,000 sq km
Canada 9,330,970 sq km
United States 9.166,600 sq km
Mexico 1,972,550 sq km

Nevertheless, your point is not lost on me. Cool

Iain
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Pub quiz-tastic Reply with quote

That little gem of information will soon be in my local pub quiz Smile

If ya don�t mind me asking Iain what did your handset set you back and what sort of costs are involved.
I like the idea of a plan where everyone has to pay to talk to me whether I phone them or not, It does my ego wonders. Laughing Of course the downside would be a limited number of poor friends.

Cheers

Pete
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Cell phones Reply with quote

Sometimes I think I must be the only person in Merida who doesn't have a cell phone. I'd love to find a bumper sticker translated into Spanish that says, "Hang up and drive!" As a teacher, I find cell phones really irritating in class. Even though our department has a policy of Turn off your cell phone in class and in language lab, students don't take the rule very seriously.

I don't know about range and long distance calls, but I do know there are a variety of plans/costs available for cell phones here. You can get something where you can call among a few friends and family members very cheaply. You can get the kind where the caller pays. You can get the kind where you buy an Amigo card available for purchase almost everywhere, and the card buys you time on your phone. You can punch in a written message and send it cheaper than making a call on a public phone.

Cell phone companies -- Telcel, Avantel, Portatel, to name a few -- have booths set up to sell their wares in shopping malls, department stores, supermarkets, etc. throughout the city, so they aren't hard to find.
dduck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pub quiz-tastic Reply with quote

Pete Brown wrote:
If ya don�t mind me asking Iain what did your handset set you back and what sort of costs are involved.

I paid just over 900 pesos for my Motorola T191. It's pay as you go, which is called the Amigo system, I think. I also came with 300 pesos credit, which you have to use within 2 months, or it expires.

I'm no idea what the call charges are, it doesn't much matter to me as I won't use it much. Just to phone in ill occasionally, and organise the odd weekend drink. Wink

USACell, is another company I see dotted all over town.

Iain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: