Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any more news on Cuba ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salmon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Any more news on Cuba ? Reply with quote

Just thought I would refresh the topic on jobs in Cuba, since the last one was posted on Jan. 22 2003, which is well over a year ago. Has everyone left and are the lights turned out ? Hello ..........
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Cuba Reply with quote

As my Cuban friends are still in touch, I think you can safely assume la Isla Grande is still there, and they're still eating potaje and rice.
Your chances of getting EFL work there remain lower than George W. Bush's morals.
What the hell, it's a great place to visit.
maggs187

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: how do you travel to Cuba?? Reply with quote

Well....I think I have my info right...United States citizens cannot hop on a plan and zip on over to Cuba right???

So...how does one travel to Cuba...I am a US citizen but I also have an Irish passport..so how can I go to Cuba for a vacation.

Please give me any info......Thanks!! Smile
moonraven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks go from Mexico with a "flying visa", so that no evidence of the visit is stamped in one's US passport.
ElementWater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Canadians? would it be the same situation as if an American were to go over there?
moonraven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there are any restrictions on Canadians traveling to Cuba. I doubt that job prospects would be great, however.
jacqui

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem for Canadians to travel to Cuba. Some universities even offer exchange programs.
Weona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who flew to Miami and then took a boat to the Bahamas and then from the Bahamas se embarc� para Cuba. It can easily be done... the only people with the restrictions are the U.S. Cuba would more or less welcome anyone to their country. And a beautiful country it is!
moonraven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US citizens fly from Mexico City to Cuba all the time--all they need to ask for is a "flying visa"--which means no Cuban stamp in their passport.
Weona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but for those on the east coast of the states it's probably easier to go through Miami than fly all the way to Mexico although I'm sure it's done all the time regardless.
moonraven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami is part of the US. You can not fly from Miami to Cuba.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonraven stated,
Quote:
Miami is part of the US. You can not fly from Miami to Cuba.

Moonraven, there you go again with your obtuseness.

Quote:
Yeah but for those on the east coast of the states it's probably easier to go through Miami than fly all the way to Mexico although I'm sure it's done all the time regardless.

Weona implied that it was easier to go through Miami. She did not say that she was going to fly from Miami to Cuba. If you had read her previous post you would have know what she was getting at.

Weona had previously posted:
Quote:
I know someone who flew to Miami and then took a boat to the Bahamas and then from the Bahamas se embarc� para Cuba.

Da Moonraven! She was suggesting the one would travel to Miami and then take a boat to the Bahamas and then to Cuba. Of course I suspect that it might be quicker just to fly to Mexico and then to Cuba but I have no idea how long one would need to take a boat from Miami to the Bahamas and then to Cuba.
moonraven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flight time Miami-Mexico City is just over 3 hours. You can expect maybe another 3 hours--or a little less--to Cuba. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Those of us who live in Mexico don't have to fuss about the Miami option.

And for those who would prefer to take a slow boat to Cuba, there are other places to fly to one of the other islands from besides Miami, also.

Don't let obtusity limit your freedom.
Weona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
Flight time Miami-Mexico City is just over 3 hours. You can expect maybe another 3 hours--or a little less--to Cuba. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Those of us who live in Mexico don't have to fuss about the Miami option.

And for those who would prefer to take a slow boat to Cuba, there are other places to fly to one of the other islands from besides Miami, also.

Those of us who don't exactly have the funding to fly to Mexico City and then to Cuba and who live closer or are from Florida would make the smarter move to go by boat. Simple is relative here as flying to another country further away from your destination and dealing with planes does not sound like the simplified version to me but that's.... me.

And those of us with a fascination with the Carribean would also like to see the Bahamas and wouldn't just spend the few minutes there transfering boats. It's easier for you to say that flying to DF is easier as you are living in Mexico, but depending on location... going the Miami route seems a lot more logical to me and less costly (and more fun! boats > planes!).

Also, I wonder if boats go directly from Miami to Cuba frequently... illegality I'm sure not being an issue. I bet they do!
moonraven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my blessing to go to Cuba any way you want to--including by swimming. Don't let those sharks put you off....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: