Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking For A Job In The South Pacific

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.SexBomb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Looking For A Job In The South Pacific Reply with quote

Hello, I am a student and I plan to have a BA by the end of the April, and I would like to teach English somewhere in the South Pacific (Preferably, a French speaking country or territory). I am also fluent in French (which could help in a French speaking place). Is it very difficult to get a job in this area of the world? How much does it pay? Any experiences, suggestions? thanks a lot!
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...

You are talking about a region where the first language of most people is English.

Tahiti and New Caledonia are French colonies but with there proximity to the rest of the pacific and the high standard of French education I doubt there is much call for English teachers a la Korea, Japan, Taiwan. Someone with a BA and the ability to speak English, like me for example, is going to have a tough time.

In New Zealand and Australia you would be teaching international students and expected to have teaching qualifications and probably experience. And then your competeing with the locals.

I really hate to sound negative but my suggestions would be

1) Get a ESL teaching certificate or better a teaching qualification
2) Don't expect to make a lot of money

Like I said I don't like to sound negative but I don't want to give a false impression either.
Dr.SexBomb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK! I figured that it would be difficult! Perhaps going to a consulate would be of help? I'm Canadian, so I don't have an EU citizenship which could help with the French colonies. I was thinking that some of the smaller, more isolated countries such as Vanuatu or Micronesia might be a better bet. What I have in mind for a job (perhaps it is an unattainable ideal) is to teach in a small community (so I can meet people) on a tropical island or somewhere by the ocean (having grown up on an island myself). I couldn't care less about the pay, as long as I have enough to be able to eat well and perhaps travel a little bit. Anywhere else anyone can think of if the South Pacific doesn't work out?
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is impossible Exclamation

My basic point is that you are not looking at a situation like the one in Taiwan, Japan, Korea. An established network of cram schools and conversation schools advertising for people with BAs no teaching experience or qualifications required

I would definately suggest contacting consulates, keep in mind that you are often talking about countries with less than a million people so they may not have officers on Canada. In this case try the New Zealand consulate or the net.

It may, when I say `may` I mean `maybe, but I have never tried and don't take my word as gospel`, be possible to find part time releaving/assisting work in a school or you may (that word again) be able to do some sort of `teach English to a family in exchange for room and board` deal in a village in Polynesia (Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Nuie or Fiji) or Melanesia (the Solomon Islands or Papua New Guniea) remember that the Solomons and PNG are not the safest places in the world, if you are thinking of them do your research!

Either of these options would be mostly good fortune on your part and almost certainly could not be arranged before arrival. That leaves you with the option of getting on a plane and seeing what happens, you will probably have a good holiday at least.

As to your broader question of anywhere else this is up to you, however here is a point to consider:

You have to go where the work is. If there are no posts on this site or English is widely spoken in a particular area it is unlikely that there are many jobs there.

Really hope you have a good experience where ever you go.

My turn to ask a question. Do you think I have been unnessesarily negative, harsh or unfair? This is an honest question because `tone` is so difficult to guage in these situations. My aim has been to be balanced and realistic, not mean. This question is open to all posters.

T
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjpnz2000,

I don't think you are being negative, just accurate. I don't fancy someone's chances in the South Pacific. The region is not that well cashed up, the population bases are rather small and you will most probably need a EU passport to work in the French DOM-TOM where there is unlikely to be much demand for EFL teaching anyway.
Dr.SexBomb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are being negative either, I asked this question knowing that it would be difficult to get a job in that region. Some people in this forum are negative though! But you're not one of them.
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, just got through reading the `Quit picking on backpackers` thread in the general forum and wondered.

I think the ESL teaching lifestyle is heaps of fun where ever you are. Sometimes I wish I hadn't spent 2 years pushing paper around a desk before setting out, such is life. Do not delay, live the dream Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: