Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Africa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: South Africa Reply with quote

Does anyone out there know what the job market for ESL teachers is like in South Africa? There is only one posting in the information journal and it is very vague.
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Probably Not Much Demand for ESL Teachers in South Africa Reply with quote

First,I have never been there...and I am not an "expert""but since English is widely spoken there(like in Jamaica,etc.),it is rather doubtful if there is much demand for ESL teachers.I have known South African ESL teachers in other countries,Korea for instance.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: RSA Reply with quote

The Middle East is now awash with teachers from South Africa who have left because terms and conditions for teachers are getting worse.

Many people also have worries about personal safety in the New South Africa.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is one of the official tongues in RSA. The only overseas teachers admitted there, as far as I know, came from the UK. The teaching system in South Africa is pretty similar to European ones.
But currently, there is zero hope as the economy is in the doldrums. The entire society is undergoing major repairs, and no one knows how long this is going to take.
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to South Africa and am not an expert, but there are lots of South Africans in Taiwan because the pay is so much better here than at home. I've also been told by South African friends that teacher's salaries are low (on the international scale).

Stephen
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I'd love to work in RSA! Cape Town in particular. Does anyone know the situation for business jobs? Do they hire many expats? Are there any good South African job websites?
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Jobs in South Africa Reply with quote

Your chances of getting a job on Aldebaran are better than of getting one ein South Africa. There is HUGE unemployment and lots of keen and qualified citizens. Why should they employ you ?
klasies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Working in South Africa Reply with quote

Hi there you all

So you want to work in SA, why? Oh I think I know why, because of all the ways in which SA is leading the rest of the world. We are after all the first in all the following areas:
1. The highest number of AIDS sufferers
2. The highest unemployment
3. The highest number of rapes per minute
4. We have the fastest growing inflation rate
5. Weekly pertol increases
6. Neighbours such as Zimbabwe
7. Highest number of gun owners, both legally and illegally
8. Non existant medical care
9. Non existant educational systems
10. You lose your employment purely based on your skin colour
11. The most corrupt government officials
12. 90% of government officials are ex convicts
13. Not even our esteemed ex president, Mr Mandela lives there anymore
14. Several cities are in the top ten most dangerous cities in the world

I could go on forever, but hopefully you get the picture. There is no work there for esl teachers and even if there was, why would you want to
work there. Your chances of staying alive to finish your contract would be bleak.
Yes, in case you wondering, I am South African, although not proud to be one. I have spend 40 years there, but I am currently in China and will not ever go back there, ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

klasies
bliksem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jip Klasies - stay in China - fair enough but try and be a bit more positive eh?

I have a friend who wants to work in SA as well - and I think it will be possible if you choose your industry correctly and have a bit of hope for God's sake!

Klasies I have empathy that someone took your job away - but they can't take your life or your will to make it somewhere if you don't give in first...

Just as a point of interest - how are things working out in China for you - hope it's better than that little corner of hell you described.
klasies

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliksem

".......have a bit of hope for God's sake! "

You from SA?????????????????????????????????
Here are some pieces from the local newspaper from my home town of Port Elizabeth, and PE is considered quite "good/safe" compared to some of the other cities..... so you can have some F^%$ing hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!

�Ghost workers� see entire NPA department suspended

Johannesburg � The entire human resources department staff at the National Prosecuting Authority was suspended on Wednesday for allegedly creating ghost workers, and pocketing their pay, it was reported yesterday....

Johannesburg � JUSTICE Minister Penuell Maduna must denounce Johnny de Lange, the chairman of the parliamentary portfolio committee on justice, for his recent comments that High Court judges were overpaid for doing too little work, the DA said at the weekend. ...

WELL-known Port Elizabeth lawyer and sports agent Neil Ward, 50, who was shot in the head during an armed robbery in Cape Town on Friday night, has died...

POLICE are still searching for clues following the discovery of the naked body of North End prison warder Johan le Grange who was found shot in the neck in bushes along the beachfront at the weekend...

Two top PE attorneys �are practising illegally�

By Adrienne Carlisle
Grahamstown � The Cape Law Society is seeking to interdict two prominent Port Elizabeth attorneys, Mpumelelo �Bond� Nyoka and Jongintshaba Mhlaba, from practising until they obtain Fidelity Fund certificates for 2003....

Senior Bisho man nabbed in �bribe for tender� offer

Herald Correspondent
East London � A SENIOR health department official in charge of procurement was arrested here this week by the elite joint anti-corruption task team for allegedly accepting a bribe for department tenders

THE Theodor Herzl Primary School pupil who suffered horrific injuries and had to undergo reconstructive surgery to her face, is back home.

Phillipa Linder, 9, was injured when the car in which she was travelling with her family was stoned on the notorious Victoria Drive on May 31. She was discharged on Monday after about nine days in hospital. She had a fractured forehead, a broken nose, and her upper lip was split all the way to her nose. She is also missing four teeth and her face was full of cuts.

More give up citizenship

Cape town � A growing number of South Africans are giving up their citizenship.

In a written reply to a parliamentary question yesterday, Home Affairs Minister Mangosuthu Buthelezi said 2 892 South Africans gave up their citizenship last year.

Bisho education official arrested for fraud

By Thozi Ka Manyisana
Bisho � A 31-year-old junior clerk in the Eastern Cape department of education was arrested yesterday for allegedly defrauding the department of more than R37 000....

ANC department rife with corruption � Leon

Cape Town � Investigations into an alleged property scam uncovered by the Democratic Alliance and Inkatha Freedom Party in KwaZulu Natal are continuing, and more misspent funds are expected to be recovered, DA leader Tony Leon said yesterday....

Elderly farmer�s attacker jailed

Herald Reporter

A KNIFE attack on elderly citrus farmer Norman Price on his Sunlands farm Daisy Dell in the Addo district in April last year has led to one of his attackers being jailed to 15 years....

Businessman in scuffle with traffic cop over seatbelt ticket

By Mike Loewe and Luvuyo Mjekula
Grahamstown � Businessman Mickey Witthuhn is facing charges of common assault and crimen injuria after he allegedly swung local traffic officer David Faltein around by the lapels of his jacket....

Gang guilty of 23 truck hijackings

Kroonstad � A highway gang was convicted in the Kroonstad circuit court yesterday of 22 truck hijackings....

Residents up in arms over plan for farming

By Guy Rogers
SEAVIEW and Kini Bay residents have won an assurance from the metro that an impact assessment has been undertaken regarding a controversial farming development plan in the area....

So, please go talk your kak somewhere else
bliksem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"so you can have some F^%$ing hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I thought that was exactly the point I was trying to make Klasies...

I'm not saying it's not bad - never did - only that it would be worth it for the person who posted originally to give it a try and make some enquiries of their own.

Then again the old maxim of heat and a kitchen and all that might apply to some... so fair enough.

Still wondering though - how's corruption and truth doing in China these days? Rolling Eyes

Good luck to you and all the best.

PS - Did you know they fired Alex Jay AND Darren Scott at 5FM Radio?? - to me that says the country's going down the toilet much more than all the snippets you got together to enforce your opinion Wink
klasies

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliksem

"...only that it would be worth it for the person who posted originally to give it a try and make some enquiries of their own. "

That is why I posted my reply, in order to explain what is like in SA. With this information the person can then make an informed decision!!!!

Then again the old maxim of heat and a kitchen and all that might apply to some... so fair enough.

Don't talk to me about not being able to stand the heat!!! I stood the heat for 40 years. I did my bit. I almost paid the ultimate price protecting the borders to keep the country safe so that your parents were able to sleep soundly and make you one cold winters night!!!!! I walked those borders day in and night out hitting more contacts than I care to remember, so DON'T talk to me about heat!!!!!

Still wondering though - how's corruption and truth doing in China these days?

I never stated that China was perfect, of course difficulties exist all over the world, the only difference is that here it does not affect me in any way. Here I have respect, my daughetr is getting a decent education and we sleep safely and soundly at night, without the gun shots and sirens!
My two sons are also here earning a decent living teaching English with wellpaid jobs, something that may have been impossible back in SA!!!

Here a bullet in the "kop" solves most social difficulties, something the SA 'regering' can borrow from the Chinese justice system, then maybe SA can more forward in a positive manner.

Boet, if you think two DJ's getting fired is a better illustration of the decline of South African society than government corruption and a total loss of societal structure, well then........... need I say more?

Good luck to you as well and the best of luck in China, you may need it!

Andre
bliksem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klasies I'm new to forums in general and I don't spend a lot of time on them except to get the info I need and now and again post a reply to try and help someone. So you might see me as the leech in the system who watches everyone slag each other off whilst getting the info I am after.

[On this point though I must add that the good folks at Dave's are pretty decent and the banter enjoyable so please keep up the good work and thank you from the silent masses out there not feeling witty enough to reply.]

I do feel however that there are certain times when debate or discussion between two/more people are not going to lead to anything meaningful ...

[I know I sound pompous - and that mostly everyone rips each other a new one just for laughs - or being bored]

...just for the fact of who they are or how they feel at that point in time.

i.e. you can have this discussion with someone else and be fairly levelheaded about it and open to differing opinions or I could have a discussion with someone else who hates their country and be fine with it and just talk about it without feeling any untoward emotions.

This, I feel for some strange reason will not be able to happen for me and you.

I too have seen what it does to someone who has to kill to protect and lose friends in horrific circumstances and then later be told "oops" and basically "thank you and f*ck you"

This I feel is one of the lasting injustices of our country because the true story of what happened has not been told - and it is a story no one cares to hear and there is no one left to atone for it.

The only thing left is a lot of good men who have received no help in dealing with situations above and beyond what any person should be able to handle.

America had Vietnam and everyone knows of the trials and tribulations associated with it - we had Angola and are seen as Nazis and getting what is due to us - this is sad but this is History and thus it is done.

For these reasons I will not continue our discussion which I'm sure has the very good foundations of a monumental slinging match Wink

I will end in conceding that you have a valid opinion of OUR country in regards to the life you had there. I have mine as well.
Maybe someone else could take this discussion further from this point on with you, but I cannot in good conscience do it.

"Mag dit reen waar jou bokke wei en Afrika se krag in jou are vloei!"

Good luck to you and God bless.

Joey Bruwer
klasies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliksem

Ok

Andre
Southafrican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: South Africa Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Wonderful to read some nice and Colourful Afrikaans on Dave's! Very Happy . I agree, there are some REAL problems in our country, but it still is one of the most beautiful, vibrant places on earth, hands down!

Having said that, don't even think of trying for a teaching position: there just aren't any. I have been in Bangkok for a year, and now in Korea, and I intend to stay in the East for several years. My family and friends are all there, but what can you do!

Ijust miss the culture, biltong, bobotie, snoek ens. SOOOO much! So let's not remember all the bad things, but remember some of the really wonderful things as well.

South African
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: