Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions about south america

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yourfinesthour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: questions about south america Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am in my second year of teaching English in South Korea. When I am finished I want to teach in South America. Maybe Chile, Maybe Argentina. I have lots of time to decide to do my research.

I don't have a certificate but I do have a BA and will have two years teachig experience.

1) Should I waste my money and get a TEFL certificate?

2) Am I too old? I'll be 33 this year but I am hot! (just kidding)
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: questions about south america Reply with quote

yourfinesthour wrote:
Should I waste my money and get a TEFL certificate?

If you consider getting a TEFL certificate a waste of money, then it seems you've already answered your own question.
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tefl certificate with teaching practice isn't exactly a waste...but neither would I say it's completely necessary in your case.

I'm at a mid sized school in south america (Ecuador) and while I would prefer all my teachers to have: a BA, a TEFL certificate, and experience, the fact is, hiring is hard, and often I must settle for two out of three. (Sometimes one out of three, but I don't want to talk about it... Crying or Very sad )

I don't know if this is the same in all parts of SA, but suspect it's pretty common.

Regards,

Justin
yourfinesthour

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses.

In fact, I haven't made up my mind that's why I posted the questions.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about south america Reply with quote

yourfinesthour wrote:

2) Am I too old? I'll be 33 this year but I am hot! (just kidding)

Stay in Korea for another four or five months and you'll be hot AND sweaty.

I did the opposite to you, I moved from Mexico to Korea, and have to say it was a really nice change for me. Nice apartment included in contract, decent pay, extremely good savings potential. Teaching load is much heavier here in the ROK than I ever had in Mexico and I miss my family who are still back in Guatemala, but moving from subsistence to paying off a small building block in a year made it worthwhile.

Save enough money in Korea so you can live off it for a year then look for a job you like in a place you like in LatAm and you will probably have a much better time than if you have to struggle to make ends meet.
portochuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL??? Whats that.....Ive been teaching in Brazil for over 2yrs....and I have not had a school ask for it.....only one school ask for my working papers...if that tells you anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: