Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paying taxes in Canada while living in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadiangirl99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Paying taxes in Canada while living in Taiwan Reply with quote

I have been searching around the internet and various forums trying to find some information on whether or not people who live in Taiwan are paying taxes both here and at home or not. Canada has a tax treaty with China but I can't find any information on Taiwan. Can anyone out there help me?

For your info, I have not declared non-residency but I have been in Taiwan almost 2 years.

Any thoughts or information would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in Canada and will be in Taiwan in August. I too was very worried about the tax question and it is almost impossible to find out for sure what is what. I have even called Revenue Canada to ask them questions and they never give the same answer. The best I can tell, as long as you have no real links to Canada, like property(land, house, car), and have no utility bills in your name for a residence in Canada. You also have to be out of the country for at least 365 days, no visitis home at all during those 365 days, you may have to prove this, then you qualify for non residency. At least this is the way I am understanding it at the moment. I hope this is of some help to you.

Bubbliee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: taxes in canada Reply with quote

go to the canada customs and revenue website and do a search for Form NR-73. if you're worried about paying taxes while abroad, fill out this form, send it to revenue canada and they may award you non-residency status while you are abroad. all decisions are made on a case by case basis and no two are the same.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consult an accountant back in Canada.

I would caution you against making any decisions about stuff like this based on info people post on an internet discussion board.

I'm not saying that these people are totally wrong.

However, there are just some things you need expert advice for and this is one of them.

Everyone's financial and personal situation in life is different and just because I'm Canadian doesn't mean that my situation will be the same as yours.

Call that accountant or have a family member do it on your behalf if you can't do it yourself.
canadiangirl99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I have done some reading on the form mentioned above and everything I read said not to fill it out at all costs since once you file it, it causes quite a stir and somehow is difficult to revoke (decision-wise)

Revenue Canada seems quite unhelpful. I did read that you have to pay the difference between what you pay in Taiwan and what you would pay in Canada. Any ideas if this is true? Does a tax treaty exist? Help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: