Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

old enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWOL

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: old enough? Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have been grazing in these forums for a while and noticed how helpful most of you are to folk with a need for information. So here goes. I am 61 years old, female, healthy and single. I have a Masters of Social Sciences (International Development) and a Grad Dip in Development Studies. At present I am completing a TESOL Certificate course. My professional career has been based mainly in the administration of Indigenous development here in Oz, and I have also spent time working overseas. I am doing the TESOL course because of the unsatisfactory nature of the politics of Indigenous affairs here under the current government � and also because I think my experience would help me to be a reasonably effective teacher.
My question is � of course � where would I be most likely to get work? As a corollary to that, where would I absolutely not get work, ie, should not waste my time applying?
I realise that there are a lot of variables in this whole scenario, but it would be really helpful if I could get a clearer picture of the possibilities. I am doing the TESOL through Teachinternational, and naturally enough their sales pitch is inclined to be very positive about my chances, but I guess I am taking that with a grain of salt. I would really like to hear from any of you who have been in a similar situation. Ageism is alive and well in Oz, and I imagine that it is a very real issue elsewhere.
Geographically � my preferences would be Thailand (having lived in Laos), Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, China, Taiwan, Korea � in that order.
And then again, I have family in the USA and am very interested in working in Mexico, central America or the western SA countries.
I need enough income to live comfortably wherever I am, and I�m very fond of 24-hour hot water, warm weather, and access to the internet. Living comfortably, for me, would be the ability to eat out locally, to have a few beers with friends, and not watch every cent. Apart from that, I have a preference for smaller towns rather than larger cities.
Thanks heaps for any advice/information any of you may have the time to give. I have posted this on the China forum, as well as Taiwan and Mexico and in General Discussion.

cheers
Jenny T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: