Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My work prospects in Italy - advice needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3plus1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: My work prospects in Italy - advice needed! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short, I'd love to teach English as a foreign language in Italy sometime next year, between mid May and the end of September. I've been told that it's difficult finding a job in Italy generally (and even worse during the summer months), so I thought I'd find out from the horses' mouths, so to speak!

I'm a native English speaker, speak 3 other European languages including Italian, have a shiny new 10 year UK passport, have 10 months experience as a classroom assistant in a UK school and by next May, will have spent 7 months working in a French school as an English language assistant. That's me in short, so come on, be harsh, rate my chances. If I get a proper TEFL qualification this summer, what are my chances of finding teaching work in Italy? I guess the big question is... is it worth it? Do you think a good TEFL qualification will turn out to be an investment for me or a big waste of money?

All opinions welcomed, whether it's what I want to hear or not Wink

Cheers all!
S x
Niamh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
if you also have a degree, you would probably be able to find work without a telf cert, because of previous experience - all tefl jobs in italy require at least a ba. The only work in italy in summer is summer camp work, which if you are willing to do(i found pay and conditions fairly awful when i did it), you should also be able to get work without tefl cert, as their standards are generally not as high as language schools since its only short term work. it is worth doing the tefl cert though,as if you have a BA, you should have no problems finding work with tefl cert. of course it also depends on where you go...i know where I am, in the north of Italy (Torino), there was no real shortage of work for prople with eu passports and the proper qualifications. It also helps if you speak italian (i can't remember if you said that was one of the languages you spoke?)
Anyway, hope this helps, Niamh
mikecoombs

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: get a qualification! Reply with quote

Dear Niamh
in my experience you caould probably find work without a qualification, but then there are a lot of schools in Italy, including cowboy outfits. THe more serious schools will only really consider you if you have CELTA or similar unless they're really desperate!
Hope that helps
3plus1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice, I've decided to enroll on a CELTA course in the UK before I head off to France. Hopefully I'll be able to find a job in Italy next year and the CELTA will turn out to be an investment rather than a big fat waste of money!Wink

S x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: