Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there good ESL jobs in New York City?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Are there good ESL jobs in New York City? Reply with quote

I am moving to New York City to study in a TESOL Master's program at Columbia, but I need a good paying part time job to live on. Any ideas? Help!

Thanks-

Sonja Norwood[/list]
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Moving to the Big Apple Reply with quote

Regarding part time work,why don't you talk to the people in your academic program at Columbia?Maybe they can help you. Use the college resources to look for a job.
There may be some TESOL jobs in NYC.I do not know about the "good" part, though.Also,you might have to take a job in something other than TESOL.Also, NYC is EXPENSIVE. Good luck. Smile
Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of ESL schools in NYC. However, the good ones have no openings, and the bad ones do have openings all the time because the turnover right is so high. I've been teaching in NYC for 2 and a half years.
mexican_lite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Jobs? Reply with quote

I'm moving to NY in August and really want to find a job (or jobs if necessary) teaching ESL there. It was mentioned that there is high turnover in the bad schools. How bad are we talking? Money-wise? Resource-wise? Student-wise? Could you name off a few good and a few bad? Also, is it possible to make enough money teaching to live there (in a studio apartment by myself, for example). I have a BA in English, a TEFL Cert and experience teaching in the US and Mexico...if that helps. Any leads or input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: