Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta vs. Tefl?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurensabel

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Celta vs. Tefl? Reply with quote

I am an American (no eu passport) with a MFA. I want to teach in Rome next year. I'm going to take either the CELTA or the TEFL this summer. The CELTA is more expensive since there are combined and online courses available in TEFL. To get a good job in Rome, which do you suggest?

thanks!
Luder

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why risk wasting time and money on either? If your MFA is in writing or something, why not just look into teaching at an international high school or as a lecturer at a university?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without an EU passport, your options are severely limited - see earlier posts in this forum.
laurensabel

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight.

I will look into teaching at international high schools. I have looked into lecturer positions and haven't found any. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Do you have any suggestions on websites?

I also appreciate the advice that getting a job in Italy is extremely difficult. Is it fairly possible with a CELTA and a MFA, even if I don't have a EU passport?
Gregorio

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without an EU passport your chances of finding legal work are extremely slim to none. Employers do not want to do the paperwork that is required to hire a non-EU citizen when they can hire a British person to do the same job, regardless of how qualified someone is. International schools may be different, but I don't think so.

If you are of Italian descent, your best bet is to try and obtain an Italian passport by proving your lineage to your local consulate. There are a bunch of posts on this forum regarding this.

Or, you can just work illegally, which isn't difficult in the larger cities (so I have heard from illegal TEFL teachers). However, you won't get a contract, health insurance, or gauranteed hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: