Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great web site for all of us Italian/American EU wannabes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregorio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Great web site for all of us Italian/American EU wannabes Reply with quote

This may be redundant, but there is a ton of useful information on this site. This site has been the most helpful and clear in describing the process to become an Italian citizen. The only thing in our way is time....

http://www.italiamerica.org

I'll hopefully be able to vote in the next Italian election.... anybody but Berlusconi.
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Great web site for all of us Italian/American EU wannabe Reply with quote

Gregorio wrote:
I'll hopefully be able to vote in the next Italian election.... anybody but Berlusconi.

Well done on the voting front. Don't forget that you get red wine with your rations when you do national service! Smile
Gregorio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I won't have to do Military Service... but I'll still take the red wine rations.
desmondwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Military service.... Reply with quote

I've heard rumblings from several corners about being pressed into the Italian Army. If one was teaching in Italy on the strength of a UK passport, would there be any danger (and I *am* saying "danger" because I don't want to join anyone's army) of being pressed into action?
Gregorio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, in 2007 the Italian Army will be completely voluntary. Apparently, they have stopped "following up" as diligently with prospective soldiers. For Americans, like myself, as long as we are 27 or older we can file paperwork (which they are supposed to send with the recognition of citizenship papers) to get out of the Service. However, I think anyone born after 1985, at this point, no longer has to worry about Military Service.

I don't know if the situation is the same for UK/Italian dual citizens, but you can check with the consulate and they'll tell ya.
jnesta1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi greg,

good to see you posting and continuing to uncover more info. that site may be the one with accounts from others who did the citizs\enship thiing.

in regard to military service, you could wait until you get 'old' like me (past 45), which exempts you whether they go voluntary or not, at least it does currently, even for joint citizens.

ci vediamo and look me up if you're ever in milwaukee,

jeff.
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff... if I am in Milwaukee I will definitely try to get in touch with ya. I have been longing for a return visit to Angelo's on the East side. Have you ever been there?

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I won't be 45 for another 18 years... I'll risk the military service.

Have you had any progress in your quest for citizenship or is it still just a waiting game?

Take care........Greg
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope no progress, teh waiting game comtinues.

jeff
BELS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregorio wrote:

I don't know if the situation is the same for UK/Italian dual citizens, but you can check with the consulate and they'll tell ya.

Just curious , why would a British want to or have a need for an Italian citizenship?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few British people of Italian parentage. For example, a person born in the UK from Italian parents also has Italian citizenship rights. This means that you don't need to apply for a permesso di soggiono, etc and that you can vote in elections.
ameliagirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have gone through the process (or are going through the process) of becoming a duel US/Italian citizen, how long can I expect it to take? What is the biggest hurtle? If I am already over in Italy can I still apply or wait for my citizenship?
Thanks a bunch!
Gregorio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my consulate meeting on May 4th. I'll let you know how it goes. Damn... that came quick.
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaliegirl,

the law states that, if you are american, you have to apply to your regional US consulate. sorry. on the other hand, you might try it from there and lt us know how it goes.

good luck greg!

jn
Gregorio

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again... I had my consulate meeting yesterday and I am just passing this info along to everyone else who is going throught the dual citizenship process.

My paperwork checks out and I am qualified so let the beaurocratic wait begin! Although the task seemed daunting to begin with, it is worth the trouble. As a reminder, I went through the lineage of my great grandfather. Just a heads up, I may have said to some people that my consulate (Chicago) doesn't require the great grandmother's birth records or grandmother's birth records. This is true, however, if the marriage certificates do not state where and when your great grandmother/grandmother were born, then you do need these documents. This is typical for a lot of older marriage certificates.

For my great grandmother (who was also born in Italy), I didn't have her birth certificate so I used her Baptismal certificate, which was acceptable because it stated where and when she was born.

Also, as the consulate informed me, summer time is upon the Italian peninsula and elections are coming so the wait might be longer than normal for some of us. If any of you have been to Italy in August then you know the place is basically shut down.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right!

Don't expect any action here from between end July to first or second week of September.

Good luck on your citizenship quest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: