Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weekend Holidays on a Teacher's Salary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Weekend Holidays on a Teacher's Salary Reply with quote

I will be teaching in Prague this fall. Although, I do not have a job yet, I will be most likely working for a language school. I know that these positions do not pay well enough to finance extensive travel in Western Europe, however, I was wondering how feasable it is take weekend trips within CR and surrounding countries. Any input, information, suggestions or previous experiences are greatly appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if you're not too extravagant on a daily basis, you should be able to fund a lot of nice weekends in the CR, Poland, Slovakia, etc. Germany may stretch you a bit as things are more expensive there. Travel itself is fairly inexpensive, and, particularly if you are traveling in the off-seasons, you can find reasonable accomodations and food, etc.
denise

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had enough money for travel within the CR. I probably did a weekend trip every month or two, and maybe a day trip or two every month. There's so much to see within the country that I rarely regretted not having enough money to travel to/through Western Europe.

d
sussy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read and seen online, CR has so much to offer as far as beautiful countrysides and interesting cities/towns. I am hoping to travel as much as I can within the CR's borders. I would also like to see as much as I can of the surrounding countries, but I may not have the funds to do so. After living in the USA my whole life (the very tip of Florida, no less), I am very excited about moving to a place where inexpensive weekend trips are possible!

So what are everyone's "must see" areas in and around the CR?
denise

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big "must-sees" are Cesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary. I also really enjoyed Mikulov, Olomouc, Kromeriz--spelled incorrectly?, Moravsky Krumlov (I think that's the town with the big Mucha museum), Zlin for its shoe museum, Terezin for a depressing tour of an "internment" camp, hmmmm... I'm forgetting some of the names!! It's been a few years. Macocha, the Abyss, made for a nice excursion from Brno.

Closer to Prague, there's Kutna Hora & the nearby ossuary, Pribram,... and loads more!

I heard lots of nice things about Telc, but I never made it there myself.

What a fantastically beautiful country!

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: