Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inlingua school of Monza, or the Inlingua school of Milan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTHO_23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Inlingua school of Monza, or the Inlingua school of Milan Reply with quote

I am considering taking a position at the Inlingua school of Monza, or the Inlingua school of Milan in Italy. I have heard mixed reviews regarding the Inlingua schools, and was wondering if anyone had any feedback?

It would be great to hear something specifically about the Monza or Milan Inlingua schools, but all feedback is welcome.

Thanks so much.
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at an Inlingua in Northern Italy.

Advantages:
- Guaranteed minimum number of monthly hours
- Reimbursement for travel tickets (for me, this also covers personal, non-work related travel)
- Reimbursement for travel TIME upon request
- Minimal lesson preparation required
- Competitive pay rate (I make �11.11 net per hour as a newly qualified teacher, last month I took home �1400).

Disadvantages:
- Teaching mainly Business English means irregular hours and long breaks, and the secretaries aren't very interested in giving you a workable schedule even when it is possible
- No guaranteed MAXIMUM number of weekly / monthly hours (try teaching 35.5 CONTACT hours a week!)
- No resources available for teachers (grammar books, alternate text books, etc... and we have to hassle them for photocopier paper and whiteboard markers)
- No teacher development programs
- Unsupportive administration interested ONLY in the bottom line (and amazingly, they don't seem to see the connection between customer service out and dollars in)

When you train for a job at Inlingua you are instructed not to "deviate" from the Inlingua method, which they say is PPP but it is much more like audio-lingual. However, if you didn't "deviate", your students would all quit because the method is so ridiculously stupid. I know a teacher who taught using the Inlingua script word-for-word on her first day, and her student walked out of the class room into reception and asked never to be taught by her again. I deviate from the method all the time, I even leave my self-designed worksheets in the staffroom for the other teachers to use, and I haven't been hassled about it by admin.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if the Inlingua schools are franchises or not!

I had the misfortune to work for an Inlingua franchise school in Naples.

It was such a massive cowboy outfit they should have had western style saloon doors at the entrance and I'm suprised the owners weren't walking around wearing stetsons and cowboy hats.

Stick to non franchise schools if you feel you have to sell your soul down the river to Inlingua....!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: