Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Morocco:ESL positions in summer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmc

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Morocco:ESL positions in summer? Reply with quote

Greetings from dusty Djibouti,

I�ve got a question regarding ESL job opportunities in Morocco, starting June or July of this year. I have a friend teaching here in Djibouti who is a native speaker with a BA in Education (French teacher) and one year ESL teaching experience. I keep telling her that if she wants to live in Morocco that she should just go there and interview.

Am I correct in assuming that with her background she could land a job quite easily? She�s especially interested in Rabat. Also, she would be arriving in early June. Do the institutes (ALC, Amideast, and others) hire teachers in the summer? How long might one reasonably have to wait before landing a job and starting to work in that season?

Ok, thanks so much for any information you may wish to contribute!

cmc
alcmarr

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: EFL jobs in Morocco in the summer Reply with quote

It would be pretty rare, but not impossible, for your friend to find an EFL opening in the summer. She should definitely write before simply showing up, unless she has fairly unlimited resources. Both AMIDEAST and the ALCs have websites, email, etc.

Abdurrahman
cmc

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: The summer spectrum Reply with quote

Dear Abdurrahman,

Thanks so much for your reply. She has contacted both Amideast and ALC, but she hasn't gotten a clear answer as to whether or not positions may begin in the summer.

So is it common for Moroccan students in private institutions to put their English studies on hold throughout the summer season? It really changes from place to place. We taught in Chile and nobody signed up to study for three months during summer. But then when we taught in S Korea and in Taiwan, summer was business as usual for English studies. Where on this spectrum is Morocco?

Again, your response is much appreciated!

cmc
nolefan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the students will sign up for the summer classes but there is quite a few that would rather go adn study abroad instead. It's a mixed market but it's gotten a lot better since Al Akhawayn university opened up.
I don't think it's a good idea to just show up there and expect for the best to happen. Secure a position before you get there or go elsewhere.
cmc

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Morocco in Summer Reply with quote

Nolefan,

Thanks for your input. I think I see what you're saying. So classes keep going throughout the summer, but numbers drop? I can see why it would be hard to walk in and get a job at that time. How easy is it to secure a good position in the fall? Any ideas, comparisons with other popular ESL countries?

Merci pour votre aide!

cmc
alcmarr

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: summer teaching in Morocco Reply with quote

The reason schools in Morocco are not going to start someone in June or July is because, in general, everything stops in August, and pretty much in September too. The coastal cities get crowded with people escaping the heat, but those people aren't there to study English (much).
Morocco is not like it was in the past when a backpacker could walk in off the street and find a job. At least not in reputable schools like the American Language Centers, Amideast, and British Council. They start hiring way in advance of fall. Of course, people change their minds or get sick or get sick of Morocco and positions open up that way unexpectedly, but your friend wouldn't want to travel all the way there with only that to count on.

Hope this helps,

Abdurrahman
cmc

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Good stuff Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case anyone other tidbits of information are offered. Again, thanks very much for the information and your help!

If anybody wants to check out teaching in Djibouti pix, feel free to go to http://community.webshots.com/user/cullenmarina

cmc
Brooks

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don`t count on work in the summer. The next term starts in October.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: