Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living and working in Madrid - URGENT ADVICE PLEASE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunseeker32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Living and working in Madrid - URGENT ADVICE PLEASE Reply with quote

Can anyone help with info on cost of living in Madrid? How much should I expect to pay for a good 2-bed apartment (not sharing)? What sort of money will I need to have a comfortable (ie not struggling) life with a child to support? Where are decent and reasonably priced parts of Madrid to live?

Would appreciate any advice asap.

Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Madrid Reply with quote

It all depends on where you live, but you're looking at at least 600 Euros a month. Accommodation is generally cheaper in the south of the city. Have a look at segundamano.com and idealista.com for an idea of prices. The problem is that there's terrific demand for accommodation at the moment.
My net salary is 800 a month, but I'm not paid by the hour. You can earn a lot more. Shop around. You can charge between 15 and 20 Euros an hour for private classes.
I assume that you hold a European Union passport?
sunseeker32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, am British.

Job is as primary teacher (am qualified) and is for 10 months though summer school is available for extra work.

Money is around 1200 per month - can I live comfortably on this?
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: 1200 Euros a month Reply with quote

I'd say 1200 a month's pretty good, but I'm a childless bachelor. Whether it would be adequate for a parent is another matter. Hopefully there are some TEFL parents in Madrid reading this who can give you an informed opinion.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: it's good Reply with quote

It is a very good salary. Salaries for are pretty low in Spain and not only for teaching just in general .
I teach in a government school and get much less than that.
sunseeker32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know salaries are much lower than her (UK) and am going for the quality of life, not the money. Just don't want that new found quality of life to be overshadowed by scraping around to buy groceries!

As I said, am a single parent with all the responsibility of putting the bread on table.

But thanks for your reassurances - it really helps. I'm really excited, nervous etc and it feels surreal at the moment. I'm sure we'll be happy in our new lives - just that I'm cautious as I have to consider my kid.

Any more advice about Madrid, areas to live, more opinions on rents etc would be welcome.
sunseeker32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: gsbcn Reply with quote

gsbcn - I though state schools paid a lot more than private - but that it was almost impossible to get into them? Do you mind me asking how much you get, just for comparison?
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Re your dog posting... Reply with quote

It really depends on the landlord/lady.
You won't have to scrape around for groceries because prices here are lower than in the UK. Accommodation here is one thing you will find expensive.
sunseeker32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Madrid Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice. Have had a look at the sites you recommended, but think it may be difficult to set up viewings before I arrive by web?

Would like to make a short trip at end of July to try to sort something for mid August move. Would this be too early? I'm told its best time to look when students have gone!

Finding it difficult to find something for less 700.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: madrid Reply with quote

You need to be very quick because vacant properties are invariably snapped up almost immediately. There's no point calling landlords from the UK.
Better to come before August because that�s when the vast majority disappear on holiday.
700 sounds about right. As I said in a previous posting, the price of accommodation has gone through the roof in the last few years.
avahanian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Living and working in Madrid - URGENT ADVICE PLEASE Reply with quote

sunseeker32 wrote:
Can anyone help with info on cost of living in Madrid? How much should I expect to pay for a good 2-bed apartment (not sharing)? What sort of money will I need to have a comfortable (ie not struggling) life with a child to support? Where are decent and reasonably priced parts of Madrid to live?

Would appreciate any advice asap.

Smile

Hi sunseeker,

Cost of living is rising in Madrid, but you can still find some good deals.

A 2 bed flat can get expensive....but you can find some tremendous deals sometimes....some people are renting 3 bed flats for 500 Euro...amazing!

And others are paying that much for a 1 bed flat....so it really depends.

I recommend you go to the southeast of Madrid, called "Vallecas". It'll be at least 30 percent cheaper than the centre of Madrid. I paid almost 40 per cent less for rent in Vallecas than in the centre (Gran Via) !!

All parts of Madrid are decent and safe....though some are nicer than others.

1200 a month is a good salary, but is this after taxes or before?

1200 a month would be enough for you and your child if you got a good deal on a flat....otherwise it might be difficult to live comfortably.

You can do it....just take a look around Vallecas and find a cheap flat....the food in Madrid is very cheap if you shop at the supermarkets such as Plus

any more questions, please ask
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: