Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - job offer before I've had time to research

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Help - job offer before I've had time to research Reply with quote

Hello all in Mexico,

Just wondering if someone can offer me some advice, opinions or comments. I recieved my certification to teach elementary last year, but due to the situation here I was unable to land a job and am now working outside of the field in order to support myself. Things are looking the same this year. I'm looking to get some experience and the only way to do this seems to be getting out of Canada. Anyways, I sent my resume to an agency for overseas work and within a day they had a job offer for me (the red flags went off when they hadn't even interviewed me). Here's the minor details they sent me:

Location: Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon Stata (it is about 40 mins away from Monterrey City)
School name: Colegio San Eugenio
Type of school: Private Bilingual
Position: english teacher
Grade to teach: elementary
Subjects to teach: english
School hours: 8 am - 2:30 pm
Monthly salary: $12,000 mexican pesos (about $1,200 U.S.D per month )
Vacations: 2 weeks in December, 2 weeks in spring, all paid
Christmas Bonus: provided.
Accomodation : Provided by the school.
Health insurance: Provided by the school

As I haven't even had time to research Mexico yet, just wanted to get others impressions of the contract and the area. I have been to Mexico before, but not in this particular place. The descriptions I've seen of Monterrey don't sound that interesting or like there is much of a cultural experience. Anyways, I've asked more detailed questions as well as for the contact info of one of the teachers already there, but just want to try to get as much information as I can at this point.

Any information that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Roxy
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: cant get a job? Reply with quote

I dunno about Canada but public schools go begging for teachers just about everywhere in the States... problem is no one want the jobs and I cant blame them....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money sounds good, especially if you don't have to pay rent. The health insurance would be your basic "Seguro social", which you would probably only use if you needed an operation or in an emergency, but is good to have for these cases. Otherwise you will probably prefer to pay a small fee and get better service.
Sounds good to me. Hopefully they will do everything they have stated. If you like elementary then go for it.
By the way, where are you from in Canada. I'm from the east where they are definitely not hiring elementary teachers, but is the situation not better in Ontario or Alberta? That's what I have heard, but I don't live there so I can't say for sure.
Good luck.
roxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know about the situation in Ontario, but in Alberta this year, it was announced that 400 jobs would be cut. It was the same story in BC (where I was last year) and I don't think they've recovered yet. Pretty much if you haven't been in the system, you don't teach secondary math or science, you don't really have a chance out west!!

Anyways, thanks again for the informaition.
LM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that things are bad out there for new teachers. I assumed because recruiters from Alberta come to the maritimes looking for teachers, that they have a need. Maybe they come because many of us are bilingual? That could be the other way in.
Good luck in Mexico. I lived there for two years and the salary and benefits sound very good to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: