Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Kuwait soon - advise needed :D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
souk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only say again, get an inentory of your accomodation before you come. If you are given an allowance for furnishings then do it here in Kuwait.

Goods are not expensive here (but I do not know how cheap things are in Singapore), but I would not want to have to clear a shipment through customs at the airport or the docks. Do not incude books,videos,dvds as these will all be confiscated to be checked by the censoreship dept. You may not ever get them back.
stokoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Souk,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Have a nice day Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note: I send two boxes of books air freight and they weren't even looked at by Customs. They would have found that they were all teaching related, but they didn't even open the boxes.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I air-freighted a load of stuff from Saudi to Kuwait just under ten years ago, and had few problems.
stokoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thanks

I will be doing ocean shipment because i will be moving quite a bit of household stuffs over. Will bear in mind all these items and will talk to the movers about it again.

By the way, do you remember having to pay 4% tariffs on all items imported?

I was surfing the net and did not find much recruitment agency on the web for kuwait. Does anyone has any recommendations? Was thinking of posting my resume.

Rgds
Christine
souk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the tax was for new goods. Try and get the shipper your end to find out. Also find out the agent at Kuwait end so that you can chase them up as they will take ages letting you know something has arrived.

There are two sand golf courses. We play the ball on the fairways off a square of plastic grass we carry with us. The greens are browns (rolled oil and sand) and have to be swept after putting out.

It is April 26th and raining !!!!!!! almost unheard of as it was 35 C last week.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved things in and out of numerous Gulf counries and the only duty I ever paid was on taking my car from Kuwait to Oman. But, I heard a rumor that Oman has since cancelled that tax.

Souk is right... make sure you use a good shipping company that has a good agent on that end. A good shipping company should be able to tell you about any import taxes too.

VS
stokoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS and souk,

Thanks a lot. Still sorting out the logistics. Will make sure i know who is the local agent in Kuwait.

Souk, i thought there would be a new green golf course currently being built by the Equestrian country club.

Wow, rain, must be great : ) How's the weather, getting hotter or still mild?

I am thinking hard about what clothing to bring and wear for the hot climate in Q8. Any simple guideline that i should follow?

Thanks
Christine
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stokoe,

Souk did mention that it had been 35C last week. It will pretty much be 35-55 until late October or early November. Personally I consider 25C to be 'mild' but such things are relative to what we are used to. Cool (and by the way, it doesn't cool down much at night during the peak heat months of May through September)

But, it gets chilly in December and January - so you will need at least light jackets and a few sweaters. This is the only time of the year that I ever wore trousers. The rest of the year it is just too hot. (there is a good reason that both men and women in the gulf wear long gowns) I found the most comfortable clothing were long, loose, gauzy skirts and tops in breathable fabrics. Personally I wore sandals all year except when exercising. Since you come from a pretty hot and humid place, you probably know what keeps you cool. The problem in Kuwait is that you don't want to expose too much skin in public - so shorts and sleeveless things are not acceptable everywhere. You are soon able to figure out what brings you too much attention. Laughing

VS
souk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not give yourself excess baggage. There are plenty of clothes shops from the very reasonable to the designer high prices.

Yes, ther is going to be a grass course (nearly finished) The problem will be whether one can afford to join, or play there.

It is sunny today and was 23 C when I passed the tower at 6.30 this morning.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness souk... where I am we are not even close to reaching a high of 23 yet. Wouldn't it be nice if we could combine our climates?

VS
stokoe

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Need some help and advise on internet service providers.

My husband had just arrive into kuwait and has just move into a temp location to stay. I am still in Singapore. Calling Kuwait is really expensive about US$0.40 per mins from Singapore, so we really need to get internet connections.

He is trying to get internet connection but the place he is staying is charging about 15KD per hour for internet connection? It seems really expensive.

Any recommendation on how we can get cheap internet connection especially broadband services? What would the rates be like? Must it be tied to a permanent home address or its account base and can move with us when we shift to another location.

Thanks again for all your advise.

Rgds
Christine
localkuwait

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, he is being ripped off! An internet cafe will charge about 1 kd an hour. He can go to any grocery store and buy an internet card. Best one is by Fastelco. 5 KD lasts me about a month. You can both sign up with skype and talk through headsets for free. I do it often with a friend in Singapore and know it works. Hope this saves you some money!!!!! Very Happy
localkuwait

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry, didn't answer entire question. With the fastelco card ( i also use ultra power from www.swiftel.com which is 3 kd for 40 hours of use) you can log on through any computer through your phone line. Has a user number, password and phone number to put into your dial up connection box.
I don't have dual access of my phone and internet at the same time, however. I looked into DSL and that could be why it is so much for what he is looking into.
stokoe

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Local kuwait,

Thanks. So your recommendation is either Fastelco card or Ultra Power.

Which one has faster internet speed? Any issues with clarity of the sound when u use Ultra Power?

So i can buy the fastelco card from any supermarket? How about ultra power, must we register at the website only?

sorry for so many question

Thanks
Christine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: