Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any advice on Gdansk school?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Gaylord

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Any advice on Gdansk school? Reply with quote

HELP PLEASE!

I'm considering a move to another city/school in Poland for the upcoming school year--the Callan method, and Kalisz, have finally done me in! English Unlimited in Gdansk may interview me. From the website, it looks to be top-rate, but can anybody fill me in on anything I should be aware of about this school or about living in the "Tri-City Area"? For ex., does the school make you teach Callan? Is it really THAT miserable on the Baltic in the middle of winter, etc...
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Gaylord on Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Bell. You can't go wrong there. But they can be a little strict at times.

It is cold wherever go in Poland. But believe it or not it is warmer in the tri-city area than it is in Cracow.

Because the tri-city area is near the sea and Cracow is near the mountains.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell is the one that I'd recommend too.
Michael Gaylord

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: advice on Gdansk, social climate Reply with quote

OK, Gregory and Alex, I appreciate the advice on teaching/living in Gdansk, THANKS! But I am curious: why did you hint at the negative aspects of English Unlimited ("If you can't say anything good about something, then don't....")? Did you work there in the past and have a bad experience? What's the ex-pat community like there. There's none here in Kalisz and that's one of the things I kind of miss: being able to speak with other North Americans once in a while.

Mike
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I am curious: why did you hint at the negative aspects of English Unlimited

Actually I don't know anything about English Unlimited.

But I can say that the ex-patriot communicity in Cracow is pretty big these days.

I remember a couple of years ago when you would attract attention speaking English but now you hear it just about everywhere you go.

I don't think that it is necessarily a good thing, but I suppose it feels less and less like a foreign country.

Good luck.
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I don't have much to say concerning the school you are interested in but isn't it miserable everywhere in Poland during the winter? Maybe Gdansk is just a fraction worse?
CROGO

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory,

Just how large a group are the Americans in Krakow? Any truth to the rumor that they playing American football and calling themselves the New England Expatriots?
Wink
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just how large a group are the Americans in Krakow? Any truth to the rumor that they playing American football and calling themselves the New England Expatriots?

I can't confirm the team's name but I wouldn't be surprised if they choose this to be their team name. It sounds like something that would happen here. Just in good fun of course. There have been a lot more Brits here than Americans in the past.

I know that there is football (soccer) league with different countries represented and in the past the Americans would play with the Brits.

But I think that may have changed this school year. I see lots of Americans everywhere I go and I think there may be more of a balance now.

In general it's not a bad ex-patriot scene but I think now there are so many people speaking English that it's not really a big deal anymore to see another English speaker and unless we know them we don't really acknowledge each other like we used to.

Therefore it has lost some of its charm. But I think that could just be because of the large number tourists coming to Cracow.

I suppose one thing that is better though is that now you don't have to waste your time hanging out with someone simply because they speak English anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: