Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italy bound - VISA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanK

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Italy bound - VISA Reply with quote

I am in dire need of advice -
I am going to Italy in June because i got a job at a summer camp ACLE. They are not giving me a working visa, though. i want to stay in Italy and i know there is something that i should be doing considering Visas before i leave the states. Can anyone help me? is there anything that i could do here that i cannot do there? is anyone already there that has any advice for me here?
I am in a panic because i feel so unprepared!
Dank
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have only a U.S. citizenship? Without some kind of citizenship from a European Union member country, you are likely ineligible for work permits for Italy.....There are some 'ins' if your recent ancestry is European (Ireland, for example, has fairly broad laws to give citizenship to grandchildren of Irish citizent). Otherwise, you'll be facing some serious to possibly insurmountable hurdles for legal work.
Andreacanada

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: payment at Summer Camps? Reply with quote

I also got a job at a Summer Camp this summer. I am Canadian with a BA and a TEFL Certificate. This is my first time actually teaching, so I am a little worried as well. Does anyone know how they pay at summer camps because I also will not have a Work Visa, therefore if I get paid with a check I may have problems. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!
mfiorucci

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Visa's for Italy Reply with quote

I also got a job at ACLE summer camps for this summer. I think you should probably go to your nearest Italian consulate for a working Visa. If you show them that you have already been offered a job, they might be helpful. I have dual citizenship, so I haven't had any experience applying for a working Visa, but I have found that the Italian consulate (at least here in Vancouver) is generally willing to help as much as possible. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Andreacanada

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: risks without a work visa Reply with quote

Thanks. But usually the employer of the Summer Camp needs to comply with the work visa. Do the ACLE camp employers help with obtaining a work visa for 2-8 weeks? I asked my employer several times and no reply, I also got the impression when reading discussion on this site that employers of Summer Camps do not give out Work Visas. I recently found out I need to get a Codice Fiscale, or tax code. But without a work visa wouldnt getting this code seem suspicious? Wouldnt they know I had a job illegally when taxes started to be taken from my salary? I am just wondering the risks of being caught in Italy without a work visa? How much trouble can you get in? I am a little worried, can anyone help?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that you will be paid 'under the table' and that your employer will not be taking taxes out of your salary. For such a short-term job, this is probably not so unsafe in terms of legal repercussions. One of my friends worked under the table in Italy for four years.. You shouldn't take my word for it, of course, but I think it's considered to be a very small offence. BEFORE I get slammed by EU member teachers reading this post, I am NOT advocating working illegally, especially long term!! Simply stating what is sometimes done - and check out the Spain forum for many stories both pro and con illegal work.

In terms of whether you COULD get a legal work visa, it's quite unlikely to be possible. Italy, like the rest of the EU member countries, has laws preferring EU citizens, and it's nearly impossible for your school to prove that there is no EU citizen who could do the job they are offering to you.

In your shoes, I would probably be tempted to simply leave well enough alone, do the job, and just be aware that long-term work in Italy is probably out of the realm of possibility, unless you start research on one of the few legal routes open to North Americans in the EU, such as working for an international school (requires a BA and teaching certification in a core subject) or applying for citizenship based on ancestry.
Andreacanada

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was willing to leave well enough alone, until I was asked for a Codice Fiscale, which is basically a tax code. If I get a tax code and the camp takes taxes out of my payment, couldnt they find out I am working illegally? I really dont want to get in trouble. Eventually I will hopefully become an Italian citizen since my boyfriend of 5 yrs is Italian, so I dont want to ruin any potential opportunities in the future. Also I was wondering if a friend of yours was working in Italy for 4 years, how did they get away with that illegally, when as a non EU citizen you can only stay for a period of 4 months? Ok thanks again.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see now that you WERE asked, not that you asked yourself. Yes, I suppose this could be a problem. Sorry I can't offer more educated help on this issue. Maybe Teacher from Rome can?

My friend cobbled together various different scenarios that kept her relatively legal, but she finally left Rome when it just became too exhausting and depressing as an obvious dead end. Also, this was a few years ago, and laws may have been a bit more relaxed then.

I hope you'll be able to find some concrete answers - best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: