Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China vs Thailand easier to get by?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adventuramust

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: China vs Thailand easier to get by? Reply with quote

I'm not looking to make money. The experience and opportunity to travel is what I'm looking for but...

With regards to what one typically makes (bottom rung newbie) in China and Thailand compared to the cost of living, how do they compare?

When a person has the experience and credentials, they can make enough to save where ever they choose to teach (basically). With mimimal credentials and no hands-on I expect to find to find low wages.

It's a right of passage. Just wondered if anyone had any comparative data.

Thank you kindly.
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught in both places. There's no out and out correct answer for you, but I'd reccomend Thailand for newbies over China. Some reasons why:

You won't make money in either country, so forget about that. Your salary in Thailand will be, when converted to USD, about 1.5 times to double what you would make in China. Thailand has a higher general standard of living than China, and Bangkok a higher standard than Shanghai (China's most cosmopolitan and up-to-date city).

In China, it's quite common to have an apartment provided for you and return airfare paid (with a year's contract). The exception is in Shanghai, where you'll likely have to pay for your own (expensive, by Chinese standards) apartment. This isn't a huge advantage, though, as Bangkok is the cheap flight capitol of Asia (it's possible to get round trip LAX to BKK for 500USD) and finding apartments in Bangkok and elsewhere is cheap and extremely easy to do (a decent apartment in Bangkok will run a measly 125 to 150 USD a month -- much more expensive in Shanghai).

So, so far we have a situation where the differences are negligible. Why do I reccomend Thailand? Well, better hospitals, friendlier people, girls are easy to run down (whereas in China it can be quite difficult), more access to the comforts of home. All of these things are vital to someone taking their first long leave of their country -- jump into the shallow end and try the deep end once you're sure you can swim a little, you know? Also, while people will occasionally try to pull a fast one on you in Thailand at work, they don't make a national sport out of it like they do in China.

It's easier to save in China, but that's because (unless you're in Shanghai...) there's nothing to spend your money on. In Thailand you'll find that if you lived like you would in China (stay in, eat out, read books, wish and pray there were something more to do than that one overpriced roller disco again) you'd save about 500USD a month. But in Thailand there are friendly people to meet, great bars to play around in, glorious and cheap cinemas showing movies in English, etc etc.

There are great things about China -- but it's better to go there later on with a bit of experience and street smarts, in my opinion. If you take my advice and try Thailand first, be aware of two things: 1) you'll get a MUCH better job if you look in country.

If you need to save money, the only place around right now where a newbie can really stuff funds away is probably Korea. Which is not the best place in the world to live -- due in part to the soemtimes low quality of the resident people and resident foreigners.

Ok? Ok.
adventuramust

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Thai overall less expensive? Reply with quote

After considering the monthly earnings and the monthly expenditures (food, toiletries etc...) you come out better in Thailand? I figured items in China would be cheaper, but wasn't sure how the compensation in each compared.

I have visited both countries and thoroughly enjoyed both. Making money isn't the reason for teaching. I had previously read articles for both countries that the money you make is a less than your expenditures, if you do any sightseeing or shopping. The two ladies I spoke with said it is for the experience and to defray costs. That works for me.

I also wondered if teachers got any discounts in either or both countries. I wondered if you could you were a living there if the merchants would give you local prices when shopping.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out that website.

Additional thought/question. Do I gather in Thailand you find your own accommodations whereas China put you up on Campus. If so, are utilities and such included in Thai apartments?
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheep-Goats wrote:
Why do I reccomend Thailand? ... Friendlier people, girls are easy to run down (whereas in China it can be quite difficult) ...

Okay, I haven't heard that expression. Does it mean the same as meet, come across, or track down? Is it British or Aussie?

I'm just wondering, because if you used the same expression in the U.S., you might be arrested for an attempted felony with an automobile. Wink
MyraG

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Run down Reply with quote

Boy what an image. Picture these poor girls being chased until the are run down, exhausted open to the advances of the rugged male english hunter, whoops teacher who proudly strings them up buck naked ready for the trophy shot.
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But "run down" by a sheep-goat? There must be some strange vehicles plying the streets in Thailand and China (or wherever that creature now lives).

Wink
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thai overall less expensive? Reply with quote

adventuramust wrote:
Additional thought/question. Do I gather in Thailand you find your own accommodations whereas China put you up on Campus. If so, are utilities and such included in Thai apartments?

Yes, you pay for your own utilities.
benno

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Run down Reply with quote

MyraG wrote:
Boy what an image. Picture these poor girls being chased until the are run down, exhausted open to the advances of the rugged male english hunter, whoops teacher who proudly strings them up buck naked ready for the trophy shot.

lol
jeez that was funny, cheers for that piece of humor! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: