Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF Surabaya and EF Jakarta - which is best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: EF Surabaya and EF Jakarta - which is best? Reply with quote

Folks

Currently in the application process for EF Surabaya and EF Jakarta.

Will have a phone interview tonight.

Which EF branch do you think would be a better place to select? (Jakarta or Surabaya?)

My feeling is that Jakarta is too big/noisy/polluted, and although Surabaya is also a big city, it is probably less stressful than Jakarta. Correct me, if this is not true.

1. How much money is it possible to save on a typical EF salary in Indonesia?

2. Other aspects of living in Surabaya. Is it possible to go jogging there and use a bike to get around?

3. Is there a big difference in culture between Jakarta and Surabaya?

Thanks for any feedback you may have. It will help in the decision making process.

My credentials include: B.A., B.Ed., Certified Teacher (Ontario College of Teachers), M.A., Post Graduate Certificate in T.E.S.L.
GuruStip

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost,
I've had no experience of EF Surabaya or Jakarta, but can tell you that the one in Bandung is definitely worth a look. It's a nice city, too.
It looks like you're a bit overqualified for EF, really. You could get a better-paid job with one of the National Plus schools (high schools that teach in English).
Have a look on jobsdb.com, choose 'Indonesia' and enter the keyword 'teach'. You might turn up a better option.

Good luck.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - as a certified teacher you should easily be able to do better than a McEF job.
bulekampung

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: i can help you Reply with quote

Can you send me your cv, photocopy of you passport (page with your photo) and date when you are available.

I will reply with more information about our organisation.

Thank you for your cooperation

[email protected]
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Don't go to either - on the condition you have any electrical pulses running through your brain right now Shocked

T_P Cool
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the other posters so far. You are in danger of underselling yourself. The new high school year starts in July and the National Plus schools are in the final stages of recruitment. Somewhere else on this forum (can't for the life of me remember where) someone posted a link to a list of all Nat Plus schools - I suggest you contact 1 or 2. At a Nat Plus school, or similar, you can expect a salary around 10 Mill per month to start with free housing.

Depending on your circumstances, downside of Nat Plus schools is that contracts are often for 2 years, like mine. I don't mind!

'Jakarta' is a very big place so check whereabouts you are considering moving and ask again on this forum. Some neighbourhoods are quite nice while other areas I wouldn't touch with a long pole.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Quote:
My credentials include: B.A., B.Ed., Certified Teacher (Ontario College of Teachers), M.A., Post Graduate Certificate in T.E.S.L.

You'd have to be nuts to work for EF with this bunch of papers under your arm. Don't do it! They'll not appreciate you or your qualifications and the EF machine will chew you up and spit you out.

T_P Cool
Jreng

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get better salary in the UAE or Korea
Chester

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.
how much did your education cost?
$100.00....$200,000.

and you want to taech esl for between $600 to $1800 US dollars per month in Indonesia.

are you coming here to educate, or to fornacate (spelling?) ?

come on dude...
guruengerish

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: JKT or SBY? Reply with quote

I have to admit that you've got some pretty good advice in amongst this lot, and one rather strange query about your reason for wanting to come to Indonesia - obviously by one who devotes himself entirely to education and no fun whatsoever??

If you really want to work for EF, you have a large number of schools to choose from in JKT, there must be 15 or so now. But, it's a big city, with an unofficial population of over 17 million, covering close to 700 sq km. It takes a while to get across it, believe me!

Surabaya is a smaller city, only 2 or 3 EFs that I know of, but can also be crowded and have its share of traffic problems, though I found it more interesting. Traffic tends to be a little crazier, and a noticable lack of means of crossing a busy road.

Some zebra crossings have tennis-raquet sized "STOP" signs that you can wave around in front of you, hoping that someone might let you cross. If they look like losing a windscreen, you might get lucky and they'll slow down.

Always something interesting!

You would also be working with an AC who would have far less qualifications than you, (generally) and often a school owner/director who is not really interested in new teaching methods as much as the income which students might bring in.

Even the school voted 'best in Jakarta' had absolutely no facilities for Activities in English or Playing Games with English. It was desk space only.
ghost

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: thanks for the replies Reply with quote

My qualifications do indeed include B.A./B.Ed./M.A./Post.Grad.T.E.S.L./Teacher Certification (Ontario Certified). Also, about 5 years teaching experience including Guatemala, Honduras, Domincan Republic, Turkey, and Canada. Have taught all age ranges, but prefer teaching adults, in general.

The reasons for wanting to go to Indonesia, compared with Korea/Taiwan/Japan, are more to do with `quality of life` than money.

It seems, that foreign teachers really enjoy their time in Indonesia, and yes - the money is not great, but money is not everything. Many teachers spoken with have returned time and again to Indonesia to renew contracts.

Indonesians seem to be much friendlier toward foreigers than in many other places.

While the inhabitants of South Korea, China, Taiwan, Japan might not be unfriendly toward foreign teachers, one imagines, nevertheless, that the warmth they feel toward the foreign teachers would not match what occurs in the Indonesian archipelago.

Bahasa language is one of the easiest (the easiest?) languages to learn in Asia, and this greatly contributes to the quality of life the foreigner might have in Indonesia, as when you speak the language, many doors open, and opportunities arise.

For these reasons, and others, Indonesia, does indeed appear to be an attractive destination for EFL teachers, despite the relatively low rate of pay in most locales there.

How easy/hard is it to get into a National Plus school, and is the competition very tough?

Thanks for the feedback.
GuruStip

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost,
It's really not hard to get into a National Plus school if you have decent qualifications (which you do) and decent reference (which I'm sure you do). The new year is coming fast and the schools with vacancies are very keen to get them filled by July - so if you get on it now, you'll pick something up, no bother.
If you can offer a second subject you will be even more desirable, and if you are Christian (even slightly), the bigger schools would love you.
Check out the ads at jobsdb.com and send emails off to the schools listed on expat.or.id (under the 'schooling' section, surprisingly enough).
You'll be offered flights, housing and a decent enough wage for the first contract, and then get a chance to look elsewhere over the next year or two.
As a friend of mine at the beach says... "Neber try, neber know".
GuruStip

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost (or anyone else interested),

Got this in my inbox today - I sent them an email months ago and they kept me on file by the looks of things. Thought you might be interested...

"Dear candidates,

Thank you for your email and interest in teaching at Santa Laurensia School. There has been an opening position for english teacher at our junior high.
If you are interested please send us your phone number so we can call you up and also please send us your full cv, certificate of education, certificate of employment, photo id/passport.
Please contact us at [email protected] and/or [email protected]

We hope to hear from you ASAP

CHRISTIN/HRD
EVE/HEAD OF ENGLISH DEPT."
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Forget quality of life - EF will have you working 3-4 classes per day finishing every night at 9pm. Holidays are minimal so you won't have much time to go around exploring the islands.

Quality of life in Indonesia is good (IMO) but not working for the EF sausage factory.

T_P Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: