Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

debating on teaching in Prague
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddarko34

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: debating on teaching in Prague Reply with quote

hey all,

was too lazy to dig around through threads, so decided to post it. i'll make it short and sweet. i'm considering flying out to Prague to teach but wanted info on the gen'l conditions, job market, AVG salary v. desired, etc. so i'll try to bullet hole my main questions. feel free to add or ask anything else.

1. TEFL or CELTA or Trinity? which is more marketable? and which is more beneficial teaching and job hunting wise? i heard both are good, but CELTA consistently shows to be held in higher regard.

2. job hunting - season opens in Sept? what are working conditions like (eg: hours, pay, competition, qualifications req'd, etc.). are they schools or private english language ones?

3. life in prague - rent? (hear it's alot relative to salary) does teaching give u enough disposable income to party (not too much), travel, eat, etc? good areas to live in? (i don't really care about living IN prague, just near enough to be accessible to the city by bus./train)

4. what are the major red flags to watch out for? (sketchy employees, discirmination, pickpockets, etc.)

5. how much money should i bring to CR to cover the settling in process?

hmm post's a bit vague and i think i'm forgetting stuff, but i'm sure i'll remember later. any advice suggestions? anything i should be concerned about b4 leaving? thanks all

oh if it helps, US college grad with BA in libarts. some teaching experience (not school, but private tutoring/some TA) and no cert. thanks!
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. CELTA

2. September is good.

3. I would recommend that you come to Prague before deciding to teach there.

I think it is fun for a weekend but beyond that I don't understand what the attraction is. I can imagine in 1990 is must have been the place to be but that was a long time ago.

I am not here to slam the Czech Republic but as someone who originally came to Central Europe, a couple of years ago, with the consideration of working in Prague I realized that it was the last place I would ever want to live.

Unless you like locals being rude to foreigners, prostitutes walking around all night, and tons of drunk tourists crowding the streets I would recommend that you try to check out some of the other cities in the area. As well as cities in neighboring countries before you settle on Prague.
ddarko34

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, korea's pretty much the same way, so i figure i could handle prague. and i don't mind living a distance aways from the hub. probably be a good way to get more money and see a more traditional side of the region, but i think every1's gotta get away to the city every so often. a method of de stressing i suppose. i don't think i'd live in CR longer than a year anyways. just want to live in europe and want to find a place where's its cheap and relatively easy to find an ESL teaching job. from what i hear, W. Europe's outta the question. otherwise, i'd hit up spain in a heartbeat.

so how was ur exp in central europe? difficult to adjust? fav place? what would u choose instead of prague? greece? turkey maybe?
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I settled in Cracow, Poland.

I love it here. It's as beautiful as Prague, but cheap and without the hordes of tourists blocking the streets.

Another cool thing is that in Poland our classes are lined up in blocks. So at around 1 or 2 you prepare your lessons then you start around 3 or 4 then teach until 8 or 9 and you're done.

In China this would be a dream schedule.

I also hear that the money is better in Poland than in CZ, for example native speakers get paid more than doctors here.

I think if you're a Pole you could save a lot but most FTs are used to a "certain" lifestyle therefore we usually spend our money.

I have a feeling that we're the two sides of the same coin.

I am going back to China this summer and then I plan on spending a year in Taiwan.

I would like to live in Asia, but in the end I have to admit that it is about the money. After two years of EFL (with probably only one more year to go) I want to try save some money in before I go back to the states.

But it is going to be hard to leave Poland there are a lot of holidays in this country and most of your students are university students so classes are usually a good time. (Of course, not always.)

Give Poland a try.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prague is so full of tourists that they could be considered a form of pollution.

I also dislike this dual pricing business where locals pay one price and foreigners pay more.
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prague is so full of tourists that they could be considered a form of pollution.

Yeah, it's a pity. Because CZ is a wonderful country.
ddarko34

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prague's that bad eh? i thought it wouldn't be for some reason.

FTs in poland get paid more than doctors??? Shocked uh, i'm assuming doctors are really rich in poland like they are in the US??

i think i could do poland. were u able to save up money to travel around the continent? or was it more of a pocket change type deal? i'm hesitant on teaching in Europe b/c the income's not great. so i hear.

what kind of quals do they look for in ur area?

thanks again for your help. the info you're giving me is really helpful.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prague's got five or six training centres for TEFL/TESL teachers. Even though they don't all stay in the city, large numbers do. And tourists?!! Billions...it's such a cheap, quick flight from most of Europe to visit. However, the city is incredibly beautiful and there's a lot to do.

Doctors in Central/Eastern Europe are NOT paid like doctors in the West. Medicine is generally state-sponsored, and not well paid as a profession. And yeah, you might make more money than many locals, but remember that the locals have housing deals that you can't match as an outsider. In Prague, natives may pay less than half or a third of what you must pay for housing.

You won't likely be able to save up enough money anywhere in Central Europe to 'travel around the continent.' The Euro is far stronger than zlotys or koruna. When you take your Polish or Czech wages into the Western European countries, value drops drastically. You can realistically expect to be able to travel around the region you are in, and possibly add a week or two somewhere in a tourist area, like Greece.

As for quals, you need a basic certification, a BA or equivalent degree, and a professional and reliable work ethic. Experience and additional qualifications are a plus.
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FTs in poland get paid more than doctors??? uh, i'm assuming doctors are really rich in poland like they are in the US??

No, doctors are not highly paid here. In fact it's only in the states where doctors are paid so high. In fact maybe too high.

As the last poster said you can have a good lifestyle here but when you convert it into dollars it is not much.

Prague is beautiful. I was just giving out my view as someone who has travelled through out the Czech Republic, Central and Eastern Europe.

I think if you go to Prague you may wonder why I said it was not someplace you'd want to live.

But after a few weeks I think you'd understand. The locals treat foreigners like a pain in the azz and the way I see it Prague isn't really the Czech Republic anymore it is just a giant tourist heaven. You can walk around all night and rarely hear Czech.

The way I see it what's the point of leaving an English speaking country to experience a different culture when what you experience is really no different than what you can experience at home?

Olomohauc (mispelled) on the other hand is amazing.

But of course it is your decision.

I just remembered before I came to Central Europe people in the states would get excited for me when I said I was moving to Prague. Then I met a couple of people who has been to Central Europe and they both said, "Don't move to Prague, move to Cracow." And now that I'm here I understand why.

By the way in Poland there is no law that locals pay less for rent than foreigners. Which is another reason I could never live Prague.

Anyway I'm going to stop selling Cracow to you because the expats here might get mad at me for letting the secret out.

Like I said, "I go to Prague."
sussy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way in Poland there is no law that locals pay less for rent than foreigners. Which is another reason I could never live Prague.

Is this an actual law? Does anyone have any further information about this?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not a law. It's just that as a foreigner, you will be paying full rent, while Czech rightfully have either ownership or gov't subsidies in many cases. It's the same in North America, right? If you're living in granny's old apartment, you pay less, of course! It's just that expats living in a foreign city don't have the advantage of family connections.
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the same in North America, right?

Not exactly.

If I am an American citizen my rent is not any lower.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I'm trying to be clear!
Czechs don't pay lower rent because of their citizenship!
What I was trying to say is that the majority of Czechs living in Prague have been there for a long time and have family ties to housing. A Czech from some different city in the Czech Republic who moves to Prague will also pay higher rent, just like the expats.
Hope that was clearer.....
sussy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I was trying to say is that the majority of Czechs living in Prague have been there for a long time and have family ties to housing. A Czech from some different city in the Czech Republic who moves to Prague will also pay higher rent, just like the expats.

That makes more sense. I was under the impression that the government grants them cheaper housing. I was looking at Czech language roommate websites and found substantially cheaper accomodation than on the English language sites, but I was afraid that I wouldn't "qualify" because I was not a Czech citizen. It's good to hear that there is no citizenship requirement.

Thanks for clarifying the misunderstanding.
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was looking at Czech language roommate websites and found substantially cheaper accomodation than on the English language sites.

Very interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: