Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NO DEGREE? NO TEACHING CERT? STAY HOME!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: NO DEGREE? NO TEACHING CERT? STAY HOME!! Reply with quote

There are two schools of thought and I will express my position, knowing full well that Roger and others hotly disagree.

Very simply, if you are a high school graduate looking for travel and a good time in China and think that teaching ESL is a way to finance your working vacation, STAY HOME!

China has enough ESL teachers who know absolutely nothing about pedogogy or methodology. Enough party animals. Enough backpackers. No - I am wrong - there are far too many already.

They make it hard for the committed ESL teachers to demand respect and just make a very bad impression of what their native land is like.

If you do not have a BA , B Ed or BS degree in something meaningful or a teaching certification, stay out of China. End up at my school and you will truly wish you had taken my advice.
rogan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, with eslguru (as far as this subject is concerned)

Europe doesn't need people like this either !
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: TEFL tourists Reply with quote

Agreed. Having said that, I'm alarmed by the number of people who appear to have got their TEFL qualification free with a packet of corn flakes. I met a girl who didn't know the difference between an idiom and a proverb, and she was a thirtysomething graduate.
There would be fewer TEFL tourists if there were fewer cowboys operators.
Sherri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NO DEGREE? NO TEACHING CERT? STAY HOME!! Reply with quote

ESL Guru wrote:

If you do not have a BA , B Ed or BS degree in something meaningful or a teaching certification, stay out of China. End up at my school and you will truly wish you had taken my advice.

Basically I agree. One question though, why are you working at a school that hires unqualified teachers?
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherri -

My school does its best to check out claimed credentials but this is China. Sometimes one slips by the admins but we teachers figure it out pretty quickly and then there is real trouble.
Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: There is a point to be had. Reply with quote

ESL sounds bitter. Backpackers are bad for him. They are all to often - so I gather - bad for China - at least when they try to teach English. By all means go see Yunan it's supposed to be beautiful.

Note that you'll aslo be doing yourself a favor. Read the China forum. Do you really want to do a job like that with no qualifications, experience, or preparations at all? And unable to pull yourself up and get a better position? Maybe you'll love teaching - and maybe you won't. At the very least do a CELTA course to see what theaching is about.

I know that there are/have been good teachers with no degree/"pieces of paper", but it's like playing Russian roulette with five bullets in the gun and only one empty chamber. A real risk. And if it falls through - or you tire of it (most EFL teahers in Asia go home after just a couple of years - or at least that's what I keep hearing) what will you do afterwards?

My purpose is not to scare off potentially good teachers. But take a look at what you're doing if you want to come to China with a GED (or similar).
cheryl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, I am by no means knocking the JET programme...BUT
I can't belive that they would accept people who have no experience in teaching nor a relative degree, and reject people who do. I understand that JET is a programme for cultural exchanges but please, we're still "teaching" even if it's simply for conversational purposes.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't belive that they would accept people who have no experience in teaching

Snipped directly from the JET program web site, FAQ number 1.

Is experience as a teacher necessary for the ALT position?

No; however, an interest in teaching is necessary. Teaching experience is but one skill among many that is considered when you apply for the JET Programme.
cheryl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiteration or confirmation Glenski?

Quote:
Quote:I can't belive that they would accept people who have no experience in teaching

Snipped directly from the JET program web site, FAQ number 1.

Is experience as a teacher necessary for the ALT position?

No; however, an interest in teaching is necessary. Teaching experience is but one skill among many that is considered when you apply for the JET Programme.

Just in case I'm misinterpreting your reasons for this post, I need to add that I said I can't believe it like people say, "it's a shame". I know it happens, and I know it will continue to happen, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.