Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Interviews Reply with quote

I have an interview for the MLI coming up which I am told will last approximately 1 hour - is this true and can anyone give me any info about the interview process.
Thanks
TNT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: That makes two of us! Reply with quote

I am in the same boat as kaw. I am really anxious/curious about this upcoming interview with MLI. Can someone let us know what they ask/what it entails? Perhaps mli_vet, veiledsentiments, grand fromage, or another would give us a few minutes of their time.

Thanks so much for your consideration.

TNT
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been interviewed there, so I can't tell you from experience. I do know someone who just had his interview, so I will go through my old messages from him concerning it and see if he said anything helpful.

Later ;-0

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

It seems that I cleaned files and deleted the message related to his interview. As I recall, he said that there were some Emirati officers and the American man that you likely have communicated with. He said that they asked about how he would teach a few different topics, how he would approach different skills, how he would handle discipline problems - sounded to me like the usual questions.

He did say that he appreciated that they gave him plenty of time to ask his questions. I would suggest that this may be the time to ask about some of the items that have been discussed as problems by MLI Vet and Holbrook. I would be a bit cautious as to how I word things, but it seems to me that they need to know that new employees consider these to be serious problems.

Hopefully someone can help you with more specificity. Good Luck Exclamation

VS
TNT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Thanks so much. Reply with quote

My thanks to veiledsentiments for her answer and time. It is deeply appreciated. If anyone else has something to offer, it would be greatly appreciated.

TNT
mli_vet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: The Interview Reply with quote

My interview was in D.C. when AMIDEAST was still conducting things, so it may be different from exactly how things will go for you.

You'll have a panel, maybe 5-6 people including member of the UAE MLI Admin (officers) as well as civilian status committee members. Don't be intimidated by these military guys--they can be really pleasant to talk to about your teaching experience (of which you'll want to have a few "successful moment" stories to pull out, and possible a "crisis" or "problem" which you resolved in the classroom).

You'll be asked about your approach to ELT, perhaps some methodological issues, i.e grammar or other skills areas, ideas for testing (got any recent testing ideas? SPEAK test qualifications). Skim the latest TESOL Journals (NOT the TESOL Quarterly) or other periodicals for teaching ideas and tips. The TJ has an excellent teaching tips section with good ideas ready to "pull out of your hat."

Any questions of your own to ask? Think good and hard about this!

Inevitably you're going to be asked if you'd be willing to teach at locations other than Abu Dhabi. This is because they are hiring for "other" locations such as Sweihan, Al Ain, Navy Island, Sharjah, Emirates Center, Etc. Be careful how to respond and avoid committing to a vague "anywhere assignment" since this could land you someplace you'd rather not be. I'd suggest a guarded response such as "possibly" or "Maybe, depending on my situation" or "Will I have a chance to visit this MLI branch before making my decision."

Professional Development--what are you doing to constantly improve your teaching and professional skills? This question is bound to be asked. Any recent conferences? Good! Publications in ESL newsletters etc.? Great! Keeping up with that CALL stuff? Fabulous, since there's a great emphasis on computer use at MLI with students having at least one CALL Lab per day. You might consider even bringing a few printouts of lessons or having handy your web address to direct committee members for further wowing/reference.

Bargain hard! Don't settle for less than 12,000 dirham/month, especially if you've got experience! Check with those who know about the new contract to see if this figure should be even higher and plan accordingly.

And don't dress like a bum if you need this job. A few guys in DC at the same interview said hopefully/arrogantly, "See you in Abu Dhabi" but they didn't make it cause they looked like bums. Granted, AMIDEAST seemed to have dredged the bottom of the barrel for one year's hiring (DC bars/nightclubs?), but this was to fill their year's quota a while back now. You'll want to be clean shaven, hair trimmed, sporting a tie and sport coat since that's going to be the normal work attire and 1st impressions count, especially with these guys!

Also, learn a little Arabic and say "marhaba" (hello) when you first meet the Emirati admin. This will go a long way. (also try, keif halak--how are you, shukran--thank you). Get yourself one of those pocket guides for Gulf Arabic, check out a video, CD etc and the results will be astonishing.

Do you have a sense of humour? Are you easy going? You'll want to somehow demonstrate this at the interview since you'll need these just to survive as you encounter laughable classroom situations. And the admin knows this which is why they might even ask about your sense of humor. So having a good laugh with the panel will help.

I remember being interviewed for a post in Morocco years back, and I mentioned "I knew a fellow from your school who was working in the UAE with me. He studied Islamic jurisprudence." They responded, "Really, what was his name?" So I shot back, "His name was Mohammed! Do you know him?" (at which we all about died laughing since everyone seems to be named either Mohammed or Abdullah over here). A laugh like that will help a lot, so be quick to demonstrate your flexibility and humor--you'll need to be REALLY flexible to put up with goings on, people, situations at MLI and branch locations.

Finally, make sure this job is the one you want. There are other posts in the UAE, and notwithstanding Veiled Sentiments positive comments, it is very difficult to move to another position in the UAE without that Letter of No Objection. Once you're there, you're there. I know several teachers who completed their first two year contract, applied for other positions with HCT, Abu Dhabi Petroleum Institute, etc. and they were told that they weren't able to hire from MLI faculty for this reason. I did hear of one former colleague who was able to get this Letter of No Objection, but his girlfriend worked for one of a certain Sheikh's wives, and she was able to pull a few strings to the chagrin of a certain civilian administrator.

One last thing--I'd be ready for specific questions homing in on certain parts of your CV. Elaborate, clarify, what happened here, etc.

Practice answering these types of questions out loud in advance--it's always helped me during interviews, face to face, telephone--never done one of those video ones yet.

Good luck ! ! !

Hope this helps for your upcoming interview.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
TNT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks mli_vet!! Reply with quote

Mli_Vet,

It's really decent of you to take your time in sharing this interview info with us. Thanks so very much. You're a real sport!

TNT
kaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Mli_Vet for helping with this. I've had many interviews in the past but none have taken an hour which admittedly I did panic about.
Your information will be very useful.
TNT - may even see you in the middle of nowhere one day. Cool
mli_vet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Don't mention it! Reply with quote

Glad to be of service! Hope things work out and your interviews go OK. Are you flying to UAE for your interviews?

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
kaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: flying out Reply with quote

Hi Mli_vet

Hopefully - they will be flying me over but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle as am already in the Middle East.
Facing too much choice at the moment - ADU have offered me a job, and have had 3 offers for jobs in Muscat (Oman) - great jobs but problem being - as am sure it is in the UAE - the "letter of release".
Anyway we shall see.......
One further question - I have heard for verious people that MLI have not employed female teachers in the past - is this the case and in your opinion what do you think the attitudes towards female teaching staff would be.

Thanks
kaw
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello KAW,

I believe there are about 3 female teachers in the MLI. One of them has told me about her experiences and they were positive. She has had little or no trouble with the young men so far. Smile If she is still on line, perhaps she will post. I'm not sure if she has gone on leave yet or not.

I have always avoided all male classes, but friends at Abu Dhabi Men's enjoyed their all male classes. With all those male students and mostly male staff and mostly men on the streets, it seems there would be a danger of testosterone overload. Smile

Everyone should have your problem with too many offers. If I read your message correctly, you are in Oman?? There is usually not a problem getting release letters there or at least that was so in the past.

Good luck!!

VS
mli_vet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: MLI and females Reply with quote

VS is quite right. MLI now hires females. Hopefully some of the new hires might be able to offer insights as to how things have gone this first year for them.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: