Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intrnet access and Land line vs mobile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZIA!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Intrnet access and Land line vs mobile Reply with quote

I would like to know if anyone has cost and or companies that provide these services. I would prefer DSL/cable in order to not lock out my land line. Any help would be appreciated. I will be living in the Samut Prakarn area if this makes a difference.

Thanks alot for the info folks have sent me so far and hope you can give info on this.

Also school is saying that most teachers wear white blouses with collars. However, am having trouble finding these in my home country because it is winter.....any suggestions....tailors/stores that sell to Western women.

Beijos

Last edited by ZIA! on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zia,

Where will you be in Thailand? I just came back from a trip to Chiangmai and used an Internet company called Loxinfo:

http://www.loxinfo.co.th

It's a regular dial up account (SLOW!), but it worked fine for me, and they have local access numbers available throughout Thailand. I don't think that DSL is available in Chiangmai, but I'm quite certain that it is in Bangkok. Take a look at:

http://www.adslthailand.com/

Hope this helps some.

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Samut Prakan Reply with quote

I live in SamutPrakan. I may be able to help you set up somethig if you have problems.

But your circumstances are sketchy...

Apartment? House? Budget? etc...

The clothes? Buy 'em when you get here. My boyfriend gets his white blouses at the market outside of Mall Bang Kapi...

No idea where that is? OK>>> When you get here we'll take you!

Mark Newman (Ladyboys are hot!)

DSL? Forget it in this part of town. Soon be available for small businesses, but if you are teaching ehre I already know that you can't afford the business rates!
dez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any new information on DSL connections in different places in Thailand. I'm thinking about relocating to Thailand but I absolutely require a DSL connection. If I can get one of these somewhere outside of Bangkok I would be very happy.

I can't get that link to work Dave.
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You absolutely need DSl before you come here? Maybe you need to hold off coming to Thailand. DSL is somewhat available here, even in some places outside of Bangkok but it is expensive and somewhat unreliable by western standards. Since this is a teaching forum, you will be hard pressed to pay for a decent dsl line that allows international connections on a teacher's salary.
hagakuri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: DSL Reply with quote

Hi,

High speed internet is now becoming highly available. This is especially true for the major Bangkok metro region. Many providers have just recently upgraded there means of provision.

The prices of (x)DSL is also falling as the competition heats up. ADSL can now be found for about half the price of what it was in just January. One thing to note, is that unlike many other areas of Asia that offer BroadBand, Thailand measures and charges for the bandwidth as oppossed to the time usage.

That is not to say that there are not plans out there that charge on an hourly basis. But it seems that the trend is more inline with charging for the downstream bandwidth... another funny thing to note is that many providers offer domestic unlimited bandwidth for Thailand. Meaning that if the site's server resides in Thailand, you can use all the bandwidth that you want.

For example, TA Express (TeleCom Asia - NOW KNOWN AS "TRUE" corporate identity change) is now pretty much available everywhere in the Bangkok region. It is just one of the many providers. They do have a promotion where you also get the ADSL modem and everything in one simple box that you can go into there shop... buy... and install yourself.

Just go to there website http://www.telecomasia.co.th/index.php?name=promotion&file=promotion_detail&promo_id=7 and type in your phone number, and it will return whether or not the service is available for your number.

There service starts at just 500 baht a month for a 256/128 line with unlimited local net access. I don't know about most people. But 500 baht really doesnt do much damage to my wallet. International starts at 750 baht for 40 hours.

Hope this helps.
dez

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There service starts at just 500 baht a month for a 256/128 line with unlimited local net access. I don't know about most people. But 500 baht really doesnt do much damage to my wallet. International starts at 750 baht for 40 hours.
Thanks for the information. This doesn't sound too bad. Do you expect the cost to sink even lower by Christmas? Where exactly are these other DSL connected places outside Bangkok? Costs there?
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I have heard, feedback isn't very good for the service, the speeds are comparable to dialup back home. Better than dialup here, but still not even up to dsl standards back home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: