Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's life with you all in Italy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: How's life with you all in Italy? Reply with quote

Life does not seem to be wonderful for TEFL teachers right now. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Companies seem to be cutting back on training, the economy is in the merda, nobody seems to have any money to spend.

For those of you who have been here for a while, do you think things are getting worse? Or is it just me?!

Interested to hear your opinions.
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E tu, TIR???

Thinhs must be truly bad if you are saying so. It's not just the "usual" summer doldrums and slow downs there? From the other reading I've done, things always take a dive this time of year.

I hope you find something good to do.

Best,

JN
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here am I busily researching a move to Italy and you two have just put a real dampener on it!

I don't need lots of hours (other resources) but was hoping to get a few hours in local schools/colleges and then top up with privates. How has the slowdown manifested itself - company training budgets cut, or is it even wider than that?

What about hourly rates for privates - are they softening too? If so maybe appartment rentals will too - beh, speriamo!

Sue
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partly summer doldrums, in the sense that things always start to slow down before August. But my negativity is also due to a sense that things are going badly wrong economically:

- company training budgets (for languages) are fewer and further in between compared to a year or so ago. Either companies are initiating fewer training projects, or they are demanding lower costs. There seem to be fewer clients to go round, as well.

- wherever you go, you read reports of higher cost of living, less spending power, the need for cheaper holidays / insurance / medications etc. It seems to be a recurring theme that Italians have less money, but higher living costs. I even read that the traditional caffe e cornetto in the bar has become a luxury!

- my own straw poll (highly unscientific) garnered from ordinary Italians, is that getting to the end of the month is difficult. Food costs are higher, every centesimo counts etc. I've also heard of young people ferreting around in market stalls to find overripe vegetables that can't otherwise be sold. Not a big thing on its own, but taken with the general feeling of poverty, it's significant.

- shops are reporting a slowdown in retailing (they were saved by the January sales), but you see a huge amount of people trying to find bargains in the "bancarelle". When you see a sign for "Pantalone 2 euro", you see hordes of people rummaging through the clothes. Of course, people have always liked a bargain, but there just seems so much more of it now.

As I said, nothing statistical, nothing scientific, just a feeling that many people are feeling the pinch. What that means in terms of private students, I don't know. Your best bet is probably to go for younger people who are still living at home, and who have a bit more disposable income. You could charge anything from 15 to 20 euro an hour, I think.

State schools shouldn't be a problem (providing you can find work there) as they are government run.

A double whammy is that rents are still astronomical. People are just delaying moving out on their own - expect to pay 400 - 500 for a room in a shared appt, or 800 + for your own place (for Rome , obviously). Bills etc on top. If the recession kicks in harder, prices may come down, but I wouldn't bet on it. It seems to me that people's attitudes are more "tighten the belt" than actually do something about the economic problem.

Anyhow, Sue, where are you thinking of going? Things are probably a lot better in Milan, but then, of course, you'd be in Milan rather than beautiful Rome!!
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIL - I've Pm'd you. Be interested in your opinion of my potential choice.

Sue
Caroline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: here business ok, so far Reply with quote

Hi Teacher in Rome,

I've been teaching in central Italy for six years in a fairly wealthy, smaller city. I also have the general impression that the average person has less money to spend. But, so far, our students (many are fairly well-off) don't seem to be too affected. I think the rich will always have money to spend!

You might be right that business courses are falling off a bit, though. Like you, I am worried that if this economic crisis continues, it will affect our jobs.

For private classes I charge 20 Euro an hour. I think the most lucrative market here is teaching teenagers (some of my colleagues refuse to do it, but I don't mind them one-on-one).

Caroline
eddytotti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao a tutti.

I'm looking to get out of this remote and etheral small city as soon as possible. I live in Enna, Sicily. Never heard of it? Good, don't come here! Non c'e un cazzo da fare. That's what all the youths say and they're right. At the moment i give private lessons and can charge upto 15 euros an hour, nothing more as Enna is quite a poor city. I live in Enna alta whereas 80% of the uni. students live in Enna Bassa (which is a malconstructed jungle concrete and not very pleasant to the eye, quindi, i hate it).

I'd love to find some summer work teaching in a camp for 4-6 weeks in Italy or Spain, but i fear i've left it a little late. If anyone knows any camps still searching, a heads up would be appriciated.

Time to go and slay some mosquitoes, bye for now.

eddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: