Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on Omani contracts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Info on Omani contracts Reply with quote

Dear all,
I am in the process of going to an interview for a job in Oman (probably Muscat) this week. I have read the emails in this forum and they have been very helpful about the relative cost of life.
A few questions for all: how people cope with the heat and humidity over there (continuous exposure to AC?)

Are there standard salaries for foreigners? What other benefits could one ask for besides the standard (health, tickets, car, housing etc.). INternet, arabic classes, maybe funding for a conference abroad, or something similar?
I am already learning arabic. Will that help? How?
Is there a certain type of living quarters offerred to foreigners who work there (size, area, etc). Considering I am single, does that change anything?
And last but not least, does anyone know of another Greek over there? Or will I be the only one in the SUltanate?
I am no teacher, so if I am not elligible to an answer I will understand. I thank you in advance for any answer. Any info that can help my negotiations will be highly appreciated.
Elias
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, elvet, but if you are not a teacher, we would have no idea what kind of benefit package you would be eligible for. It can range from great to awful and everywhere in between. (see the message from Gandol for 'great.) I suspect that you are going to have to ask in your interview what you get and you would have to ask someone in a similar job if that is the usual package.

One thing I can assure you of is that almost everything is air conditioned and most of us cope by staying indoors for much of the 7 hot months.

Whether you will need much Arabic depends on your job. As English teachers, we have little or no use for it.

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elvet- as VS said, I have no idea about the contracts there for non-teachers.

As for other Greeks- I met one lady- at the hairdressers! She was very nice and pleasant- I think it's best if you ask the embassy there, they'll keep you up to date with info relating to events for the Greek community. You'll find that in Muscat, most expats will mix in together- so you will meet other nationalities there.

Good luck with your move Smile

(feel free to pm me for more info as I used to live there)
Signor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just check if furniture is included - I have heard rumours that not all companies provide furniture or even a furniture allowance.

This is a hefty unnecessary expense during your first months as most companies provide at least the basics.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That number is getting fewer. Many of the new private schools and colleges have stopped providing either the furniture or an allowance.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: